View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 11:42 PM

Blue Cross Payment for Exjade

Hi Wendy,
I was excited when I read about your Blue Cross lower co-pay because I also have Blue Cross and was recently given a prescription for exjade. I had my doctors office send in the two page form to Novartis and then received a call from one of the 3 companies that handle the drug dispersion for them. The company is called US Bioservices and I guess they were randomly assigned because I didn't choose any of the three (as I had no experience with any).

US Bioservices told me they had already checked for my co-pay with Blue Cross and it would be $845 per month. That turns out to be about a 20% co-pay for the total cost. I called my Blue Cross provider myself and tried to get them to lower the cost, re-check the provisions of the policy, but to no avail. So I really had no choice but to pay the co-pay because my ferritin level is very high and I want to start work on bringing it down. Like you said, I don't know where they think people can afford this every month. I also looked into some of the programs that assist with prescription costs, but my family does not qualify.

My husband and I will find a way to pay for it. We have already started borrowing money to pay for this illness and will continue as needed. I wish you good luck in trying to get Blue Cross to lower the cost to you. A 50% co-pay seems very high and hopefully you can get that reduced. Please keep us informed on how you are doing.
Maggie (56 year old woman) diagnosed with severe AA in January 2006. Treated May 2006 with High Dose Cytoxin, Nov.2008 had BMT, both at John Hopkins. WBC & Platelets now normal, RBC near normal, still high ferritin level.