View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 10:41 AM

Bone Marrow Injury?

I do not have a diagnosis of MDS, but am living with depressed bone marrow function from previous cancer treatment. In 2013/2014 I had a total of 67 radiation treatments and 15 rounds of platinum-based chemo. My last chemo was over a year ago, and my last radiation treatment finished in Oct '14.

My marrow has never fully recovered to pre-treatment levels, and I'm beginning to wonder if it will. I'm under the impression that secondary cancers due to radiation and chemo take years to develop. I guess my concern is when does depressed marrow function cease to be "from chemo/rad" and begin to be from something else? And how would I know?

My latest labs (8/7/15)

WBC: 3.0. L
RBC: 3.69 L
HgB: 12.5
HcT: 37.4
MCV: 101.4 H
MCHC: 33.4
RDW: 15.1
Plts: 67 L
Bands: 0
Granulocytes: 2
Lymphocytes: .6 L
Monocytes: .2
Eosinophils: .1
Basophils: 0
Vitamin D (6/5/15) 21
Magnesium (6/5/15) 1.3

Is there any real reason for concern given that these are typical values and not improving over time? My platelets haven't been over 100 since August of 2014, and typically range from 65-75. WBC are normally 2.7-3.2. The last time they were within normal range was 9/14.

I am taking Vitamin D supplements. It has come up from an initial level of 10 in May.

I guess my main question is should I pursue further diagnostics with my Onc, or is this very typical post chemo/rad bone marrow behavior? Last year, when my platelets were hovering around 22-23, they assured me they'd soon be back to normal, but it really never happened.

Thanks in advance for the collective knowledge and insight on this board!