View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 14, 2010, 04:00 PM

Vidaza

Hi Judy,
You seem to be very well informed already but I will tell you what I think about your husbands treatment.

I should not try to find another doctor but ask his doctor why he/she thinks treatment not should continue when experts report that response can take up to 6 cycles (actually more). Normally Vidaza (azacitidine) is evaluated after 6 cycles.
"In all three studies, the median number of cycles from the first treatment with azacitidine to any response (complete response, partial response, or hematological improvement) was three cycles (range, one to 17 cycles). Although 75% of the responders achieved a response by cycle 4, the other 25% achieved a response as late as cycle 17. The majority of responders (90%) achieved a response by cycle 6. Best response was observed, on average, two cycles after initial response and lasted for a median of five cycles."
http://jco.ascopubs.org/cgi/content/full/24/24/3895

It is very common to delay treatment if the counts are low without less effect.

If my neutrophils were 0.4 I should ask for Neupogen at once - supportive treatment is very important when you get chemo.

Hope your husband can continue treatment with Vidaza and respond!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
71 yo, dx MDS Interm-1 May 2006, transfusion dependent, Desferal and Exjade for iron overload, Neupogen 3 injections/week for low WBCs, Thalidomide and Prednisone for bone marrow fibrosis