View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailie View Post
I still wonder what the end game is after Vidaza? Even though blasts go down, aren't we all headed for transplant following Vidaza? I have just finished my second cycle and I am expecting going to transplant sooner rather than later if I am feeling well. Or, does a person stay on Vidaza as long as possible until the downturn in numbers?
Its a personal choice. From what I read depending on the type of MDS or disease you have dictates the long term survival curve post-transplant. MDS survival rates post-transplant after 3 years are not where a lot of people want them to be. I think its 30-40%, so you see the 1 year rate at 60-70% but when you drill down and go 3 years out that number is much smaller. Other disease types such as AA tend to have a higher long term survival rate. Then there's the quality of life issue. Some may be able to tolerate years of medical visits, GVHD, and the other residual stuff that may or may not come, whereas some can't. The end game for the more severe classes of Vidaza is the BMT, however, some people have a more mild form of MDS and can go on for years with no disease progression. Those are far an few between but they are out there.