Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 6, 2014, 10:02 AM

I too encourage you to get another opinion. Too much iron will affect the endocrine system, bone marrow and major organs. Unless there's a solid reason for not starting chelation therapy, I don't understand their approach.

A couple of things to consider.
1 - Have they talked about trying a red cell growth factor like Procrit?
2- Have they checked your blood serum EPO levels. EPO is produced by the kidneys and is you bodies way to stimulate red cell production. It is usually really high in those with anemia. If it's 500 or under, procrit could be effective for you.

3 - What nutritional elements have they checked? Vitamins B12, B6, Folate, D, zinc and copper, at a minimum, should be checked. They are key in blood production. Low normals or high levels of the B vitamins without supplementation are suspect.

I hope you pursue a second opinion. It's alway good to get another doctor's view point.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.