View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maesmom View Post
Thank-you Sally and Dick.

Dick, did you start out with what looked to be iron deficiency and then evolve into MDS? The wierd thing is that her RBC counts went the lowest when she was taking her daily vitamins with iron on a regular basis and she had not had any heavy periods or anything that would cause heavy blood loss. She just started the 325 mg of FE 3 times per day after this latest blood work so we have no idea as to how that has affected the counts yet. The Dr. said she would see her in six weeks She is to take it with 500 mg of vitamin C. Meghan also takes D3 on a regular basis and those levels checked out normal.

What has me worried is this week was the 4th time in about 6 weeks that she has had this nausea, then low grade fever that comes up in the afternoon and she stays hot and sweats during the night and cool again in the morning but profoundly exhausted. And another couple of random bruises and mild sore throat here and there. I will be calling the Dr. office again just to let them know what is going on.

I have seen some lab values that show her level of platelets as below normal with 140 being the cut off but with this particular lab it shows the range as 133-450 so the ranges seem to have some variances.

She has been unable to start college classes and missed the second day of her first job this week which was a big deal for her. I just feel helpless and don't know how to help her right now.
Maesmom, I started out exactly like that with Docs recommending Iron and Vitamin supplements which I still take to this day, but they have been of little or no help at all. I get nauseous and can't hold down my coffee in the morning. Bruises are oh so common along with the sweats and chills. I freeze below 72 degrees. My numbers continue to slowly, ever so slowly continue to decrease and still I am on the "watch and wait" list. Why? Because they keep holding you off as long as they can because once the meds like Revlimids and Vidazas start, it gets real expensive real quick and I am at the mercy of the VA and Medicare, but that is problem and my cross to bear, it's a numbers game they play. But this disease is surely not an easy one and it is prolonged journey, so hang in there. Good luck with you and yours and my prayers will be with you always.