View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 12:40 PM

I agree with everything Neil has said.

I had the ATG treatment for my SAA 15 years ago and just a couple of years ago, I've had my counts dropping again. I've had cbc's done every year, so I know that I was fine before, but now seeing a drop again. They did the full up blood work and then they performed a bmb and it was inconclusive the first time and showed no signs of AA the second time. My bone marrow could be patchy, but my doctors don't seem convinced of that. They have started me on meds in the thoughts that I may have lupus causing my drop in counts and it seems to be working for me so far. My cbc in May will really be the true test because I will have been on the meds long enough to see a real change.

I'm just throwing this out there to let you know that you're not alone in seeing your counts drop again 15 years or so later. It could be AA again or it could be something else. Make sure they run the full battery of tests again to see what they find. Keep us updated because I'm really curious how many of us long term AA people see drops in counts again and what it may mean for each of us.

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil