View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 04:23 PM

You understand the main points. It is a dangerous procedure. It is a life changing procedure. It can also be a curative or long-term remission procedure. Feel fortunate if you qualify for a BMT or SCT, most MDS patients do not. I would suggest that you directly ask your doctors what specific reason(s) lead them to conclude the timing is now. Ask them to help you understand their reasoning. Although you feel well, I suspect the main concern may be the 17% blasts. I am told that timing is very important and it is best to undergo the BMC/SCT prior to the onset of AML. Some doctors consider AML to set in at 30% blasts, but others will say as low as 20% blasts.

Regardless of the timing, you should take whatever preparations you can, such as donor search, finding a caregiver, tour a BMC/SCT facility, etc.

PS - Vidaza didn't seem to be working for me at first. It took a solid 5-6 months, but now my blood counts are mostly normalized. 15 months and counting, but it will be a quick decision to go to SCT when Vidaza stops working.