Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat Sep 29, 2012, 08:14 PM

Researching Genetic stuff and MDS

I admit I am a geek.
I want to learn more about the genetic studies done on MDS. I have had a FISH and a metaphase cytogenic study.
Anyone found an easy to understand website or article that explains this stuff?
I have been going through very tough articles in Pub Med. I need a background place to start.
Suggestions appreciated.
If all else fails maybe I need to figure this out and write it up for all of us in an easy to understand way.
Carol, age 75, diagnosed with MDS 9/2012, on wait and watch, recently had blood values drop probably due to Arimixdex, values coming back, but still serious fatigue, recent bone marrow text showed only 2% blasts
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:22 AM
Owner

Carol,

This NIH medical article has an overview and detailed interpretations, but it's from 2008. I'd like to find a similar but more recent analysis.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 02:20 AM

recent studies

This is a very important and timely subject matter. This is how, I believe we will be able to identify, replacate, mutate, our genes and chromosomes and treat our individual MDS. This is the future of a cure or at least containment.
I too would appreciate any current information

thanks,

Donna

I also am looking for more recent than 2008 studies on ABO mismatched BMT. I'm still not flipped over to Donor's A+, with my O+, requiring transfusions every 2 weeks. (though they say cells are 100% donors).

I would appreciate any more recent studies.

thanks

Donna
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 02:15 PM

MDS

Hi Carol,
Yes, very important matter as Donna wrote. The problem is that there are so many choromosome aberrations and mutated genes in MDS patients so it will be very difficult to treat our individual MDS.

Slowly they discover changes like 5q- (sensitive to Revlimid) and the percentage of MDS cells expressing BCL2L10 (high % is eventually correlated to Vidaza resistance) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3380582/.

Now only a little more than 50% respond to Vidaza (almost 50% are treated 6 months without response). More patients respond to combinations of drugs but it is mostly good luck if we get treatment that will give us a little longer life.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Responding to Thalidomide + Prednisone since June 2010
Old Tue Oct 2, 2012, 08:57 AM

Thanks for reference

Just quickly went through the 2008 article. Thanks so much.
Will try looking for more articles by these authors.
Carol, age 75, diagnosed with MDS 9/2012, on wait and watch, recently had blood values drop probably due to Arimixdex, values coming back, but still serious fatigue, recent bone marrow text showed only 2% blasts