Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 10:00 PM

Unhappy Mom Released

My mom was released today from the hospital today. Her chest was clear so after 9 days if IV antibiotic.

She had platelets and hemoglobin Friday. Her red blood cells were up to 11 and down to 9 today. The doctor made an appointment to see her next Wednesday. I don't think she will make it that long.

My dad seems resistant to get help in the house. I work full time and need to get them help and I don't know how to push them. I feel my mom is very close to the end and that my dad is in denial.

I feel useless and with no hope.
Yaka
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
Owner

I'm glad she did well enough to be released. It's a lot more comfortable at home.

A lot of people resist getting help because it's like admitting you can't manage. We probably all have that instinct to manage ourselves even past the point where we can.

It's not easy to get past this psychological barrier, but one approach is to present it as something to try for a few days, or try to get past one particular problem, and decide afterwards whether to continue. Once people accept a little bit of help for a little bit of time, it's easier for them to accept more. And perhaps whoever first tries to help them won't be a perfect fit, so the idea of trying it out is a practical approach for that reason as well.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 12:46 PM

My mom had a good night last night and they are both a bit nervous.

She felt a bit tired this morning and took a nap. The doctor upped the prednisone to 20 mgs. so maybe that will give her a little boost.

I got a hole list of agencies for my father to call because he didn't like the one I called and was going to use. So hopefully he will call one of them today to arrange for someone to come tomorrow. I think he needs to feel in control.

The visiting nurse is coming tomorrow. He thought she would do errands for them.

Thanks for "listening".
Yaka