Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Regional Discussions > Your Local Area
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Local Area Connect with people in your city, state, province, or region

Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 04:44 PM

Anyone with MDS in Oregon

I'm in Eugene, diagnosed 7/11. Would love to contact people on the West Coast or nearby.
Old Fri Dec 2, 2011, 04:24 AM

Hey, Nadia. We are in State of Jefferson .. south of Medford on the California side.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Sun Dec 4, 2011, 04:26 PM

Anyone in Oregon

I'd love to talk with you. My email is ntelsey@gmail.com
Nadia
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 11:30 PM

MDS in Oregon

I was diagnosed in November 2011. Live in Roseburg and I am starting my third round of Vidaza this week. No change yet. I have had 4 blood transfusions and spent a week in the hospital in January due to fungal infection in lungs and then pneumonia. Also receiving 3 shots of Neupogen (not sure how to spell that) each week and taking boat load of pills. I'm 58 years old and was a smoker for about 15 years, I quit in early 1980s.

I have started the process of getting a bone marrow transplant at OHSU. Luckily I can still work and have health insurance.

I lived in North Eugene for 21 years. My son is a senior at U of O. My daugther graduated U of O and lives in Portland.

Anyway, I would like to hear how you are doing and what is being done to treat your MDS. I hope things are going well.

John
Old Sun Apr 1, 2012, 05:18 PM

Living with MDS in Oregon

John -- apologies for the late reply -- I took a break from the site and meanwhile started a trial of Campath at NIH.

All my counts are low, and even lower post-treatment though that will hopefully change. Last WBC-.7, Neutrophils-.34, Hemoglobin- 8.9 and platelets-20. I was getting tranfusions every week or so but have now gone
2 1/2 weeks and may have my blood tested less (weekly instead of twice a week)

I go back to Bethesda and the NIH in May and *may* get a sense whether the campath is working. Otherwise I should know in August.

A transplant has never been offered to me as an option. I have no family donor and they tell me my MDS isn't bad enough. My fear is that by the time it is, I will be too old (I'm almost 65)

How are you doing these days? Let's stay in touch.
Nadia
Old Mon Apr 2, 2012, 09:45 PM

Nadia, I am sending prayers your way.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Fri Apr 6, 2012, 02:25 AM

Thank you, Catherine. I'm sending warmest wishes back your way.
I'm a big fan of Jefferson Public Radio by the way.
Nadia
Old Fri Apr 6, 2012, 06:51 PM

Me too, Nadia! I love JPR too, in fact just made a pledge today!
Old Mon Apr 9, 2012, 05:31 PM

We may have pledged the same day!
There's a chance my partner and I will be driving down the Coast to Calif. in late Sept. If we do, I'll let you know in case we can make a detour.

I hope all is going well for you both.

Nadia
Old Tue Apr 10, 2012, 12:52 AM

That would be awesome, Nadia!