Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:32 PM

New here

Hello, my father was dx with mds RAEB-2 in 9/12. He is 68 yrs old. He is in a clinical trial at MD Anderson in Houston. The trial is vidaza and another drug. His original blasts were 11% and after 2 cycles they have gone to 2%. he has been in hospital for the last three weeks getting rid of cellulitis, and trying to get his platelets up. They have been low around 10 and are currently close to 30. He has been very fatigued, weak, and not eating much. He can walk about 50 yards with a walker, and then is very tired. The doctor tells us that they are happy with everything and that he can go home tomorrow. The stem cell doctor found a perfect match, which is great news, no date has been scheduled. Will he get any stronger before a potential transplant, before treatment, he was able to walk around normally.....I am not familiar with the syndrome, other than what I have read here. Thanks
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:28 PM

from my understanding the chemo to prepare for transplant is pretty rough but I am no expert. My dad didn't do any treatments other than transfusions.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 07:28 AM

Hambone:

You can read my journey at the site listed at the bottom. Great Blessings are requested for your father.
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)