Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 06:13 AM

oh my counts are fine. They don't even bother to tell me the details these days (and I never think to ask) - I only see them when I get the letters CCed to my GP. It's kinda nice how no one's really worrying about those anymore.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 11:16 PM

So happy to hear you're finally feeling better!
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 05:27 PM

Don't you have withdrawls wondering what they are? Ha! J/K. I am slowly getting used to not always knowing what my labs are. But it is weird.

Laura

Last edited by Laura : Fri Aug 13, 2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 08:30 PM

I was panicked when the oncology nurse suggested labs only once a month instead of the usual weekly. We compromised at biweekly, lol. I keep a spreadsheet of the main counts. Of course, my husband and I are both math geeks and like our numbers. I hate to think how we'll be after the transplant!
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrellypoo View Post
oh my counts are fine. They don't even bother to tell me the details these days (and I never think to ask) - I only see them when I get the letters CCed to my GP. It's kinda nice how no one's really worrying about those anymore.
So glad to hear about your counts. Been really enjoying your posts and love the dress details. You have a cute way about yourself that makes me smile. I have fond memories of England from when I was a teen. You remind me of those treasured thoughts. Good luck to you in all of your endeavors. Keep that positive spirit and thanks so much for sharing so much of yourself with all of us. Mostly, be happy. Sincerely, Rose
Old Fri Aug 13, 2010, 10:11 PM

Oh hey Melissa, the countdown must beginning for your wedding? Almost here! You all ready?

Laura
Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 07:44 AM

5 weeks to go, aaaahhhhhh! So much still to be done! The dress is coming along nicely, but that's because it's one of the few things that's entirely under my control! The rest, not so much...

(18 September, since it's not specified in my sig!)
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 09:17 AM

I had a checkup HOP appointment this morning. All my bloods are in the normal range as per usual, and nearly all my liver results are normal again (and the two that were high are only *just* above the cutoff, so that'll make my bridesmaids happy for hen night drinking!).

I saw Prof Marsh today and she said they're reviewing how they deal with post-transplant milestones, which is why I hadn't heard anything about my one-year additional checks. But she said I didn't need another lung function test since I just had one 6 months ago and haven't had any lung issues, and she said a bone density scan could either come now or at two years post-BMT so it was no rush and I should ask the gynae/endocrine consultant on Thursday to see if he wants one done. I'm getting my first lot of vaccinations after I come back from the honeymoon in October, though, so that'll make me feel safer. We're only going to NYC so it's not like it's anywhere tropical that I'd need extra precautions in advance of!

Four weeks to go til the wedding. I am officially entering the STRESS ZONE. blarugggghhh!
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 01:01 PM

Interesting. You will have to let us know how they change around the milestone tests or whatever.

Glad to hear things are going well.

Can't believe your wedding is so soon. Best of luck with getting all the last minute details ready!!

Laura
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 04:30 PM
Owner

Quote:
Four weeks to go til the wedding. I am officially entering the STRESS ZONE. blarugggghhh!
There's only one safe and effective cure for pre-wedding stress... a wedding!
Old Thu Sep 2, 2010, 06:03 AM

Grrr. The dermatologist was convinced that 6 weeks on Isotretonoin (accutane) would clear up my face of all this horrible post-transplant hormonal acne.

It hasn't. It's just made my skin peel off in rather large chunks, leaving big red marks that look worse than the acne. Plus half the acne is still there, AND the corners of my lips have cracked so bad they split when I open my mouth to eat anything. I'm putting on e45 and Savlon constantly but it's just not doing much. I see the dermatologist again on Monday, but I'm getting very anxious and depressed that my face is going to look like it's got leprosy for all my wedding photos and I don't know that there's enough time to back out of it now for it to recover.

And my visit with the gynae/endocrine consultant two weeks ago was truly depressing. For eight months now he's done absolutely nothing, and keeps saying "oh you want it fixed so quickly, these things take time, just keep waiting and it'll fix itself". Uh, so it hasn't fixed itself in eight months, when on earth do you think anything is going to change?? It's like that quote "I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas!". And then I found out why - he's retiring next month. So he clearly just hasn't cared what happens to me because he's leaving anyway. And I have to wait another four months now to see his successor. Before he said he was retiring I was prepared to get a second opinion anyway because he's been so useless.

Wedding stress is not helping any of this, either. No one ever warned me that the transplant might screw up my hormones so badly that I wouldn't be able to have any sex life whatsoever post-transplant (and until when? who knows!). You can't get a second chance at your wedding night, or your honeymoon, and I'm almost in tears at how this crappy gynae/endocrine doctor has failed to help me at all. At least the dermo is trying!
Old Fri Sep 3, 2010, 06:28 PM

Melissa

This will still be happy time for you, but I'm sorry to hear you are going through all these extra problems. As you say a wedding is stressful enough, maybe plan now for another special evening on your first anniversary. I know this is easy for me to say and I can feel your pain with the words you have written. It also comes through that you are loved by many, so hold onto that thought and make the most of your honeymoon.

My very best wishes for your wedding and honeymoon,
Debbie
Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.
Old Sat Sep 4, 2010, 10:24 PM

Melissa,

See PM.

Laura
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 03:36 PM

Dear Melissa,
Have a lovely wedding, and just take everything in so you can remember it all. I hope the problems you are having can be solved soon, but dont worry too much as you can always have a 'wedding night' later, and make it special! The actual day is more difficult to repeat.
All the best for the big day
Gem
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 10:16 PM

Melissa 4 days until your wedding! I hope everything is coming together just fine. I am thinking of you. I hope some of your issues are also resolving. Congrats and best wishes. You deserve the best!

Laura
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 05:17 AM

Thanks guys!! My face is looking a million percent better. The dermo is awesome - like 2 days after she pulled me off the Isotretonoin/Accutane, the flakiness and scabs disappeared so I'm only left with a few spots now, and I can cover those well enough with makeup.

Gynae issues are still there (surprise! They don't clear up on their own, grrrr) but I'm trying to push that out of my mind until after my honeymoon when I'll go on the warpath and get my followup appt pushed up.

I finished the last remaining detail on my dress and the bridesmaids's dresses (yep, I made them too) last night so it's now just printed stuff and the last few stitches on my fascinator to go. I'm booked in for a mani/pedi tonight. I've never had either before in my life, can you believe it?? I also saw the dentist last week and got the last of the transplant stains off my teeth and had a cap put on a baby tooth that never left me so my smile is even now. It hardly cost anything and required no drilling or novocaine so I don't know why I didn't do it years ago!!
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 12:35 PM
Owner

Quote:
I finished the last remaining detail on my dress and the bridesmaids's dresses (yep, I made them too) last night so it's now just printed stuff and the last few stitches on my fascinator to go.
squirrellypoo,

I'm used to running into words in these forums that I have to look up, but I'm afraid I don't know what "fascinator" means.

Will you have something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue?
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 02:55 PM

Melissa,

Best wishes on your wedding day! I'm really impressed that you made all the dresses, too. I'm all thumbs when it comes to sewing. You should treat yourself often to the mani and pedi--the pampering is great (I especially love the pedicures).

Neil, I don't know what a fascinator is either!

Karen
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 09:07 PM

Wow I can't believe you made all the dresses. You will have to post some pictures when you have time after the honeymoon!

I don't know what it means either!!

Laura
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 04:54 AM

Fascinators are like small hats, either attached by a comb or headband, that often have netting or feathers attached. They're very popular in the UK and Australia when wearing formal clothes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascinator
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 07:40 PM

Melissa

Happy Wedding Day!!!

Hopefully you are fast asleep and that today will go smoothly, enjoy the moment.

The very best of wishes to you and your lucky fellow on this special day,
Debbie
Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 11:51 PM

Woohoo! Show off those pearly whites, Girl!
Love & Happiness!!
Marian , Dx 12/25/09 w/ hypoplastic myelodysplasia and 10% PNH clone. Dx changed to SAA in 1/10, treated w/ unsuccessful horse ATG and cyclosporine. Dx of unclassified MDS or acquired bone marrow failure, PNH clone 39% (after ATG). Due for BMT in Sept or Oct 2010.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 03:48 AM

Big day start for you Melissa,i hope everything will be fine for you.
Best wishes
Old Fri Oct 8, 2010, 08:14 PM

Hey how was the wedding? How are you?

Laura
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 11:24 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates! We only got back from our honeymoon last week and already I've been flown out to Dublin for work so things have been CRAZY busy.

The wedding was BRILLIANT, awesome, fun, wonderful - everything it should be! ;D

I've posted up a few comparison photos between my granny and the original gown and me in mine up on fehrtrade.com, but I'm doing a whole series of posts on everything we DIYed at our wedding (dresses, flowers, makeup, printed materials, cakes, music, etc) so there will be WAY more photos up over the next week or so (Including some truly stunning ones from our professional photographer!)

Here's one:

(For more...)