Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Fri Mar 30, 2018, 06:27 PM

Marijuana

Hello, I am 18 years old boy from Slovakia, I was transplanted 31.August.2017 , so it is right now exactly 7 months after transplantation, before marrow transplant I was marijuana user. I just want to ask If is it possible to smoke marijuana in this period (7 months after bone marrow transplant) After transplant it was everything good, only one problem was EBV virus, bu that was such a big problem I was close to die, but I don't. Everywhere I had a nodes.
In my country smoking marijuana isn't legal and medical marijuana isn't legal too. Please help me if you have any experience, thank you
Old Fri Mar 30, 2018, 07:52 PM
Owner

Denis,

You asked about this in your previous thread (Bone marrow transplantation (currently 1month and 3 day) too.

There are a few aspects to consider. Getting in legal trouble is obviously one concern, which you already know. Does that prevent you from asking your doctor about using marijuana? Legal issues also prevent marijuana from being more extensively studied.

On the medical side, there are two questions you might ask: Are there medical benefits to using marijuana? What are the risks of using marijuana?

Here are some previous forum discussions related to these questions:There is also information at other websites:

This question and answer are about the use of THC (the chemical in marijuana) for the Epstein-Barr Virus.

There's a marijuana website with a discussion about marijuana after transplant.

Patients taking an immunosuppressant like Tacrolimus (fujimycin) after a transplant have a risk of drug interactions if they use marijuana, as reported in a medical journal.

An old study found that transplant patients who subsequently used recreational marijuana had reduced life expectancy, while later research supports the use of THC under a doctor's direction.

The Cleveland Clinic, a very well-respected medical center, weighs in with their advice about avoiding infections after a bone marrow transplant:
Quote:
Avoid tobacco and marijuana use. The use of these substances, along with exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (second-hand smoke), increases your risk for bacterial, viral, and fungal infections.
As you can tell, there's still a lot of debate and discussion about the risks versus benefits. If there's any chance that you can talk to your doctor about it, I recommend doing so.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 06:47 AM

Most of the time medical marijuana is helpful but first, you need to concern with your doctor when you using it after the transplant. Even EBV problem you have faced that gain an adaptive immune system, also known as the acquired immune system. EBV infects B cells of the immune system and epithelial cells.