Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sun Sep 28, 2014, 12:18 AM

Gene Identified for Short Telomeres in association with Aplastic Anemia

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-gmd092314.php

Gene mutation discovered in blood disorder
CHOP expert, collaborators identify mutation in aplastic anemia that shortens telomeres on ends of chromosomes
Old Sun Sep 28, 2014, 12:54 PM

Thanks for posting that Curlygirl, it sure is interesting.

I wonder if they think this telomere-related mutation is the cause only in cases of aplastic anemia that are diagnosed as genetic/inherited (as opposed to acquired). Or if alternately, with this discovery, they now think that many cases previously diagnosed as idiopathic/acquired actually have this telomere-related mutation as the root cause?
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2014, 01:15 PM

Dr. Maciejewski told me last week that all of his bone marrow failure patients will be checked against all genetic defects known to cause these illnesses.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 08:20 AM

Very interesting. I don't think they went back to check John's telomere lengths once they understood the role they play in this disease. Finding the gene could be very helpful in determining the course of treatment I would imagine.

There have been a few with VSAA and SAA who failed AGT and were later found to have shortened telomeres.

I'm sure there are many unanswered questions surrounding this. Do those with the gene mutation all end up with blood disorders or does it need to be activated by some environmental trigger before it causes disease.

It would be good if they could go back and check everyone who has been diagnosed prior to this discovery.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Oct 1, 2014, 06:02 AM

Oh, I thought telomere testing was standard, is that not the case? They tested my sons in 2011. At that time a lab Canada was the only place that tested them, I had to pay out of pocket for the test and then get reimbursed (out of network) from my insurance.

I have a Google alert set for any news on telomeres, I haven't seen this article yet so thanks for the heads up. I have my alert set for weekly notices though, so hopefully the alert works in the next few days.
Old Wed Oct 1, 2014, 08:18 AM

At the time John was diagnosed, they did not have the test. A few year later, they could test for shortened telomeres. I don't know if it's standard procedure to test everyone's telomeres now but sounds like it should be.

Edithr, what were your son's result?
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Oct 1, 2014, 10:08 AM

Hi, I have not asked for this test and I'm hesitant to throw it into the mix of tests that little can be done about. My hematologist doctor is not a fan of some tests I asked about MTFR and he dismissed it out of hand saying it wouldn't mean anything and lots of people have that defect with no problems. But my GP will test me for anything I ask for. But I generally go with the advise of the hematologist. I think I would look at it differently if my numbers were heading the wrong way. Anyway Dean Ornish has done some work on Lifestyle changes that lengthen telomeres. The diet he recommended is pretty much vegan and when I tried it my overall blood counts dropped so I added in meat. I do not think his study isolated the low fat component of the diet as a reason for success, I seem to do better on a paleo/organic/minimal processed diet the organic and minimal processing is also part of the ornish diet.
http://ornishspectrum.com/proven-program/the-research/
Old Wed Oct 1, 2014, 04:21 PM

I'm positive for one of then MTHFR mutations (homozygous) it hasn't made any difference to me, as far as I know, as long as it's not connected to copper pathways as well somehow.
Old Wed Oct 1, 2014, 08:25 PM

My son's telomeres were tested prior to treatment and they came out normal for his age group. Which is another reason why I think the cause of the Aplastic Anemia isn't the same for each case.

I actually asked at one of the AAMDS.org regional meetings if getting ATG would lengthen your telomeres if you had short ones and the Dr. from NIH that was briefing, Dr. Townsley, said that ATG is such a harsh treatment on your body that they would actually expect your telomeres to shorten as a result of it rather than lengthen. I don't know if that has been shown through tests or is an educated hypothesis that they need to test.