Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:11 PM

Hello

Hi my name is Dennis Brunkhorst. I was dingosed with AA when I was 9. I was fortunate to have a identical twin brother to match me to recivie a BMT. I am now 34 living a healthly normal life. I am here to give support to any one with AA or familes dealing with AA. I had the BMT done at the U of M in Minnesota I had no other treatments. It was a scary time for me being 9 and I had a chance of dying cause the operstion was so new at the time but I overcame death and live my life to the fullest now. Life became normal for at around 13 when my last test came back neg for AA.

Last edited by Denny54017 : Thu Feb 21, 2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:42 PM
Owner

Hi Dennis, and welcome. Thanks for coming here to share your story and to help others. Hearing from long-term AA and transplant survivors can be inspirational to other patients.

How fortunate to have an identical twin brother. Did you have other treatments for AA before the bone marrow transplant, or did they go straight to the BMT because you had a twin?

Bone marrow transplants were quite different in the early 1980s. What was your transplant experience like, and where was it performed? How long was your recovery, before life was "normal" again?