Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sun Nov 10, 2013, 09:41 PM

Hair Loss and Regrowth after SCT

I know I'm going to lose my hair. I can deall with that. But at age 57 I still have a full head of hair and very little grey. People say when the hair grows back it's "different." I'm wondering whether it will come back grey now or different in thickness or texture. Whatever it is I'm fine with it so long as I'm healthy again but what do you think?
Old Sun Nov 10, 2013, 10:36 PM

Well Ill give you two perspectives
My husband had his BMT 10/10/13 and had some small bald patches that honestly he probably could have styled his hair differently and not seen them. He shaved it bc the shampoo they gave him in the hospital wasn't very cleansing and shedding very short hair is better then shedding long hair. He also lost his beard but not his eyebrows or lashes or body hair. I will say that it's a bit bothersome how you can just grab tufts of hair out. Try not to do that.
I do hair for a living and have several guest who have had chemo. All of the ones I have had it for breast cancer and one who had no chemo but lap band and lost her hair. It came back for all of them curly and soft almost fuzz like at first. Then it came back stronger w a bit of wave or curl to it. One came back less wavy over time then it was befor she lost it but thicker w less gray (so she was happy about all three) one has REALLY thick hair but swears it was thicker before and has a slight wave (I didn't know her before) and most others after the curly fuzz stage, came back w thicker wavy salt and pepper. But all of them came back w beautiful thick hair and if you don't like salt and pepper that's what hair color for men and women is made for.
Mind everyone's different you could come back w straight,wavey, or curly, any color, and any thickness... These are just what I've witnessed
Hope this helped!
Heather, wife of Ronald 36; dx PNH 2012; Dx VSAA 2013; eculizumab(Solaris) hATG 2/20/13 cyclosporine 400 mg daily. 37 units RBC and 15 units of platelets. Post BMT -pentam,vorconizole,valtrex, valcyte, actigall, Pepcid , prograf, magnesium.
10/10 MUD 10/10/13
Now no PNH or AA. Mixed Chimerisim
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 07:40 AM

Heather,

What a great answer. I was wondering about that myself. Of course it is of very little importance now. The focus is on getting better. But it is nice to know that in some cases it comes back thicker
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 07:50 AM

Thanks, very helpful.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 06:08 PM

Smile Heather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather8773 View Post
Well Ill give you two perspectives
My husband had his BMT 10/10/13 and had some small bald patches that honestly he probably could have styled his hair differently and not seen them. He shaved it bc the shampoo they gave him in the hospital wasn't very cleansing and shedding very short hair is better then shedding long hair. He also lost his beard but not his eyebrows or lashes or body hair. I will say that it's a bit bothersome how you can just grab tufts of hair out. Try not to do that.
I do hair for a living and have several guest who have had chemo. All of the ones I have had it for breast cancer and one who had no chemo but lap band and lost her hair. It came back for all of them curly and soft almost fuzz like at first. Then it came back stronger w a bit of wave or curl to it. One came back less wavy over time then it was befor she lost it but thicker w less gray (so she was happy about all three) one has REALLY thick hair but swears it was thicker before and has a slight wave (I didn't know her before) and most others after the curly fuzz stage, came back w thicker wavy salt and pepper. But all of them came back w beautiful thick hair and if you don't like salt and pepper that's what hair color for men and women is made for.
Mind everyone's different you could come back w straight,wavey, or curly, any color, and any thickness... These are just what I've witnessed
Hope this helped!
Thanks for the answer as I was just wondering about that myself - some say it starts falling out fast others slow - I say - If its going - go and then I can deal with what comes back. I love hats. :-)
Now have RAEB-2, Firbrosis 3+, blasts 18% peripheral, 10 - 14% blasts marrow, chromosomes now T 1:21, trisonomy 16 and 1.- Match found ---10/10 -couldn't believe when I heard - Tentative day is 1/09th!!!! Admit date changed to 11/12. WOW -