Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sat Jun 9, 2012, 10:07 AM

Stress and blood counts

As I am grappling for explanation for my "mystery" illness, I am entertaining all kinds of theories .
This one is, if anybody has noticed a connection between stress and white or other blood cell counts?
I had chat with my hemo, and she kind of agreed with me that there are changes in my blood (whatever that means) but she is not giving a diagnosis.
But even so, I find it a curious questions....
thanks
Old Sat Jun 9, 2012, 10:42 AM
Owner

There's a good article at MedicineNet on the causes and effects of stress. It doesn't mention low blood counts as a symptom but it reports that our bodies release cortisol in reaction to stress, which can in turn suppress the immune system. It didn't say how doctors identify or measure that effect on the immune system.
Old Sat Jun 9, 2012, 02:42 PM

Thank you Neil it is a very good article.
Similar to stress, would physical exertion have an effect expecially to people who have compromised systems? Do people here have this kinds of experiences?
Old Sat Jun 9, 2012, 05:05 PM
Owner

Physical exertion won't cause your bone marrow to become abnormal, but having AA or MDS or another disease that causes anemia will limit your stamina. Exercise is generally good for you, improving how you feel, helping maintain weight, and putting you in the best possible position to cope with any health problems you have. But you don't want to overdo it, and people who are anemic reach their limits sooner. Your doctor can help you decide what level of exercise is appropriate for you and whether any cautions apply, but even people with compromised health should try to maintain the amount of physical activity that they can safely handle.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2012, 01:02 PM

Thanks Neil.
My stamina has severely declined, in my work, in my private life, but I am sure to get at least some exercise, even when I am about to pass out! the doctors wont help me, I have to
My problem is that still Hb is normal, the reds and whites graze the lower limit... except the whites more like a yoyo.
Perhaps my belief in life is what holds me up; if I have a compromised system it has been that way decades. Then I should say every day is a gift!
But I still want to understand what is going on, even for academic discussion. I know my bone marrow has not been normal for five years at least, but still the peripheral values hold....
probably part of what is going on is general deep fatigue, whether whatever reason. Oh boy this gets silly!
Cheers everybody...
The doctors wont help much, I have to draw my own lines!