Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 09:40 AM

Magnesium

Hi, looking for some advise on magnesium supplementation. I haven't looked into this before and stumbled on the thought after soaking my feet in epsom salt of all things, I had a issue with a crazy itch in my feet for about 15 years it usually goes away in a hour or so and it really hasn't been bothering me much lately but the last few days it's been driving me nuts, not a surface itch much deeper. Anyway I picked some Epsom salt and tried soaking my feet and the itch went away. I had already looked up magnesium and looked at it in the past but don't really want to throw things at my body without a reason. Magnesium comes up a number of times in these forums with folks taking it as a supplement. I suspect that I might have some kind of absorption issue and I'm on a paleo diet eating mostly vegetables (at least a pound a day), fruit, nuts, meat and fish. I assume i'm getting enough in my diet but I do have symptoms that may indicate an issue. I do not recall be tested for magnesium and my last test from the hematologist didn't have it, he ran potassium but I'll have to dig through my past results but I assume I'll be in range since it never came up as an issue.

Any suggestions on brands, dosage, experience and results would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 02:06 PM

I took magnesium oxide because cyclosporine depletes it from the body.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 03:24 PM

Actually, epsom salts is good way to get it. A warm soak vs hot. We usually take citrate form but there's quite a few out there. I'll will have to add to this later though. Have to run.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sun Nov 24, 2013, 02:46 AM

My son takes (3) MagOx 400 by Blain (Walgreens, Kaiser Pharmacy) and does really well with these. We tried others, but this worked best on him and he is on a relatively high-dose of Cyclosporine
Old Sun Nov 24, 2013, 08:48 AM

I had a transplant in June and I take potassium & magnesium. I'm not sure how much longer I will have to take them.
Old Sun Nov 24, 2013, 10:59 AM

Hi Tom,

Most docs don't automatically test for mag so you would have to ask. My guess is that you will test fine. That doesn't mean additional mag would not be helpful. Almonds are great source.

If you have time, read through the posts on this forum. MrsD pulls together very useful info Magnesium. This post started six years ago and has some really good info about mag.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1138.html
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sun Nov 24, 2013, 12:25 PM

Thank you all for the responses, I going to pick a supplement and give it try. I have had a number of symptoms that could be associated with magnesium so I maybe I'll see some improvement. I haven't seen it associated with low blood counts but from what I can tell a 100% RDA supplement has limited downside exposure. I went through all of my blood work going back to 2004 and can't find being tested for magnesium. Thanks again.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 08:18 PM

Magnesium

Hello Tom, my medical journey with MDS like symptoms started with extreme stress that eventually lead to inflammation, pain, hives, swelling and then anemia and low platelets. A few months ago i started on magnesium for the stress, depression, anxiety and hives and to my astonishment it worked. My hives forced me to take up to 40mg of prednizone a day and now im down to 15.

I am off all my depression and anxiety medication too. Unfortunately it has not affected my anemia and platelets but ill take what i can get. Half my battle with this disease was mental and that is healed.

Pubmed https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed has interesting articles on magnesium and the body. It is an astounding mineral responsible for hundreds of metabolic processes in the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom30 View Post
Hi, looking for some advise on magnesium supplementation. I haven't looked into this before and stumbled on the thought after soaking my feet in epsom salt of all things, I had a issue with a crazy itch in my feet for about 15 years it usually goes away in a hour or so and it really hasn't been bothering me much lately but the last few days it's been driving me nuts, not a surface itch much deeper. Anyway I picked some Epsom salt and tried soaking my feet and the itch went away. I had already looked up magnesium and looked at it in the past but don't really want to throw things at my body without a reason. Magnesium comes up a number of times in these forums with folks taking it as a supplement. I suspect that I might have some kind of absorption issue and I'm on a paleo diet eating mostly vegetables (at least a pound a day), fruit, nuts, meat and fish. I assume i'm getting enough in my diet but I do have symptoms that may indicate an issue. I do not recall be tested for magnesium and my last test from the hematologist didn't have it, he ran potassium but I'll have to dig through my past results but I assume I'll be in range since it never came up as an issue.

Any suggestions on brands, dosage, experience and results would be greatly appreciated.