Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 04:51 PM

Flu shots and low WBC

I just received my latest CBC results and noted that my WBC is going lower. I usually get the annual flu shot but as I am becoming more alert to my MDS I am curious as to what others may have experienced with flu shots. Since the vaccine I believe is made from live virus is there a problem for those of us with a low WBC obtaining the shot
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 05:19 PM

Hi HughHC,
When my husband's neutrophils were low our oncologist told us to get the flu shot - but not the one that is a nasal spray. If I'm not mistaken the spray is the one with the live viruses.
Take care,
Sally
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 05:54 PM
Owner

HughHC,

Whether or not to get a flu shot is a question for your doctor, because it depends on the risk if you do vs. the risk if you don't. In some cases it's pretty clear but there are borderline cases where only doctors should make the call.

Here is some general information about the flu vaccine:

There are two ways to get the flu vaccine, as Sally mentioned. The injected version has an inactive (dead) virus so you can't get the flu from it. People can, however, get a low-grade fever or soreness from the flu shot.

The other version is the nasal spray, named FluMist, that uses a weakened but live virus. It's fine for healthy people but not for babies, seniors, youngsters with asthma, or pregnant women. I doubt doctors would recommend this over the shot for an MDS patient.

Two other points to keep in mind:
  1. Whether or not the doctor advises an MDS patient to get a flu shot, other members of the family are well-advised to get the vaccine. The last thing a patient needs is a family member with the flu! After my wife's bone marrow transplant she wasn't allowed to have immunizations for a while but her doctor reminded the rest of our family to get flu shots.

2. The flu vaccine doesn't take effect immediately. If you get a flu shot on Tuesday and have the flu on Wednesday it's because you had already caught the flu. This type of coincidence causes some people to insist that they caught the flu from the flu shot, but that's not the case!
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 06:37 PM

Hi, when I had little to no neutrophils and lymphocytes, I asked my haematologist about the flu INJECTION. He said that it didn't really matter if I had it or not because it wouldn't do any harm but that I would probably not develop any immune response to the shot either and it would be ineffective.

Nasal sprays aren't offered in Aus as far as I know.

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Sat Sep 29, 2012, 02:20 AM

My experience with flu injection

Hi - Having suffered from Neutropenia for several years, I had the flu shot last year. A couple of months later I experienced the worst version of flu I've ever had, ending up with severe bacterial bronchitis + bronchial asthma which I'd never experienced before. The prednisone and strong antibiotics which I needed sent my white cells down even lower. The doctor warned me that this would probably happen but there was no other option.

A couple of months later I was diagnosed with pancytopenia and subsequently MDS.

There may not be any connection between the flu treatment and my MDS, however I am inclined to agree that flu injections may not be effective for MDS sufferers. This year I didn't have the injection and so far haven't even had a cold. Is there any research on this?
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2012, 11:51 AM

Cheryl;
A flu vaccine is only effective for the strain of flu that is in the vaccine. There are many types of flu, so before anyone gets the vaccine, it's best to check with the local CDC (Center for Disease Control) and find out what strain of flu is prevalent in your area. Then you can ask your Doc if the vaccine will hurt you.
With Earl's other 2 auto immune problems, we have been told that it is wise for him to get it - so he went last Saturday and got the shot, and I got mine a few days later.
Here's hoping you do well.

Beth
Old Mon Oct 1, 2012, 02:42 PM
Owner

I read that this year's U.S. flu shot protects against 3 or 4 strains of influenza. If you get the flu, haven't yet had your shot, and the doctor OKs it, you can get the flu shot after you recover from one strain of flu in order to protect yourself from the other strains.

If there are still other flu strains going around your area then the flu shots won't protected you from those strains. That's where our other precautions, like washing hands and avoiding people who are sick, come into play.
Old Fri Oct 5, 2012, 04:36 AM

One of the first things recommended to Paul by the haemotogist was to go and have a flu (lasts 1 year) and a pneumovac injection (lasts 5 years). This was a first for Paul, and his arm really suffered from the pneumovac injection.
Sandi, partner of Paul 62, diagnosed MDS Intermediate 2; July 2012. Pancytopenia, Cytogenetics -7 +8 Chromosomes. Low Blast cell count. Currently on EPO & G-CSF and having great response. MUD found will be admitted to Royal Perth Hospital 27 March 2013 to start SCT process.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 01:12 AM
Owner

The AA&MDSIF's Fall 2012 issue of Insider has advice about flu shots, on page 13. Most of it matches what we've said above, but with additional details.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:25 PM

My wife Doc told me ( Caregivver ) to get the flu shot and everybody in the family also as long as there were medically fit....The doc told my wife DO NOT get the flu shot, so it is DEFINITELY is a question for your doctor. She was also told not to take any cold medicines that would reduce a fever, because we couldnt tell if she was getting one
Billy - Husband of Tina: 31 years old at dx - June 2007 - Stage 3 Breast Cancer - Dec 2008 Stage 4 - Brain and Bone - Nov 2012 - Therapy Related AML. Curently on Decitabine for Therapy Related AML and Herceptain for ongoing Breast Cancer. Weekly transfussions of blood and platelets