Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 06:43 PM

Signs that MDS is turning into Leukemia

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows the physical signs that MDS is turning into leukemia, besides blood work or BMB.

Is is just tiredness and exhaustion?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Paula
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:32 AM
Owner

Paula,

The symptoms of Leukemia overlap those of MDS so test results would be necessary for a diagnosis or re-diagnosis. For example, MDS patients with low hemoglobin are already likely to be tired/exhausted. Symptoms of low platelets, such as petechiae (little red spots), would be equally ambiguous.

Instead, signs of leukemia could be infections, fevers, night sweats, and chills (from excess and abnormal white cells), as well as an enlarged liver or spleen or swollen lymph nodes. They aren't proof of leukemia, but signs you should be aware of.

Since MDS patients should already be under a doctor's care, any question about a changed diagnosis would be settled by tests, including those you mention.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 07:07 AM

Thank you Neil,

It seems as time goes by every little change in my moms health has me so scared that things are going wrong. She is so fatigued that just by opening two cans of sauce she needed to sit from exhaustion. This disease is such a roller coaster for me, I can only imagine what the patient goes through. I'm bringing her in for blood work today. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us. This forum is a blessing.

Paula
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 01:05 PM

my dad's dr said they could tell by the blast in his bloodwork. normally the white cells go way up. I think my dad has progressed into it but he is very very weak. I wish you the best with your mom.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 02:26 PM

mds

My husband is on his fourth treatment of Vidaza and neupogen for MDS. He will have a biopsy when he is done this treatment. Is there any way you can tell when your marrow is putting out good cells? I was told you have pain in your sternum. Anyone have the answer let me know.