Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 12:06 PM

Low Lymphocytes, low retic & lymph nodes swollen

Hi,

Over the last two years I've had array of things go wrong, from getting a pacemaker at age 22 for low heart rate, to low blood pressure, to now tachycardia events (so am on betablocker), to finally a diagnosis of Celiac Disease in November.

Over these two years, I've always been either mildy anemic or borderline low, never any higher. Also my WBC has always been between 4.0-6.5 and I've had chronic mildly low lymphocytes during this time.

Over the last few months I had an ultrasound that found Lymph nodes in my neck (largest 1.4cm x 0.8cm) and in my armpit (largest 2.5 x 0.8cm). The ultrasound also found an 8mm thyroid nodule. I was scheduled for an FNA of the nodule, but over a month the nodule now appears to no longer be there, but I have had a more worrisome looking nodule starting to grow on the right side at 6mm (hypoechoic and ill-defined margins).

During the time of all these findings my Absolute Lymphocyte count has gone done from 1100 to 900 to now 650 (reference range 1500-4000), while my WBC count has stayed the same at around 5.5 (ref range 4 - 11). My GP is getting a little concerned as why my lymphocytes continue to go down while my WBC stays the same, as usually with an infection your WBC goes up. Also in the past, I had three blood tests come back with low absolute retic count (around 13, ref range 25-80). I did see a hematologist, but she said my numbers were not low enough to warrant a bone marrow biopsy. Wouldn't low retic count, on and off mild anemia, chronic low lymphocytes (now even lower) and lymph nodes be enough to warrant a look at my bone marrow?? I am scheduled for a biopsy of my armpit lymph node but I am not worried since the ultrasound said it didn't appear to be malignant.

I have just felt really worn down of the last few months, not sick, just really weak. Does anybody have any experience with numbers like this or have any advice on how I should go about looking into this?

Here are my latest lab results from Tuesday.

WBC: 5.76 (range 4 - 11)
ABS Neutrophils: 4.19 (ref range 2.0 - 6.3)
ABS Lymphocytes: 0.65 (ref range 1.5 - 3.5)
ABS Monocytes: 0.57 (ref range 0.2 - 0.8)
ABS Eosinophils: 0.31 (ref range 0.04 - 0.4)
ABS Basophils: 0.03 (ref range 0.00 - 0.1)

RBC: 4.3 (ref range 4.3 - 5.6)
Hemoglobin (HGB): 135 (range 130 - 170)
Hematocrit (HCT): 38.5 (range 40 - 50)
PLT: 190 (range 140-400)

B12: 276 (range 220 - 1000)
Ferritin: 71 (range 50-80=reduced, >80=normal)

Last edited by alevoy18 : Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 05:52 PM

Private message

Please check for a private message that I sent you.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the pm, I appreciate it.

I agree, I've been telling every doctor I see my B12 needs to be addressed, but they keep telling me it is within normal range. I am a 24 year old male, there is no reason for it to be so low since I take vitamins and eat healthy, but none of my doctors will help. Not sure what else I can do with it really.

Celiac has caused me lots of issues there is no doubt about that. I just want to know what is causing the chronic low lymphocyte counts and why it has gone even lower lately. Just feel like I'm dragging my feet everyday but can't get an answer.

Hopefully soon, thanks again.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 07:50 AM

If you read through the links I included then it will help you address the B12. It is way to low. B12 is easily fixable with oral supplementation. John takes the sub-lingual methylcolbaimin form of B12 by Jarrow. He started with 1000 mcg on an empty stomach each day for the first three days to see how well he tolerated it. Then up it to 2000 mcg until he got up to 5000 mcg a day. Many cannot convert the standard B12 to a usable form. The methly form is bio-available, ready to be used by your cells.

When taking B12, you need to take a B complex in the middle of one of you larger meal. Again, John takes Jarrow's B Complex.

We have no financial connection with Jarrow. I find that www.iherb.com has some of the best prices on vitamins.

Please read the links I sent. You'll see many have struggled with low-normal levels and restoring it to an "optimal" level can either be very easy or present some other challenges depending on the individual. There's a good chance you are low in multiple nutrients due to the celiac.

Low B12 can will impact blood cell production. Even white cells. Key nutrients for blood and bone marrow are B12, folate, B6, copper. These are the heavy hitters.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.