Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 09:20 PM

Unhappy Does MDS or Aranesp make you itch?

My Mom's back is always itching. It isn't dry or broken out. She wondered if this was a side effect of the MDS or Aranesp?
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 10:16 PM

I haven't had a problem with itching. I did get itching when I was in the hospital last weekend, I think it was from the pain meds though.

Zoe
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 12:48 AM

Angry Rash and itching

Hi There

My Dad has suffered quite a lot from itching, mostly as result of a bad rash that comes up from time to time which covers his legs and arms. He is taking cortisone to keep it under control.

Regards
Alison
Alison, daughter of Rod aged 61; Dx May 2007; was on Neupogen and Eprex Aug - Dec '07; Vidaza recommended 6 cycles starting Jan '08, only 5 cycles completed. Chemotherapy commenced: July '08 - Feb - '09. Cytarabine & Daunarubicin. Transfusion dependent.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 06:26 AM

Pop's Itching

Hello,

My father says his itching may be from the blood transfusions. He has been itching allot, kind of a under skin thing; however it's at its worse for a few days after transfusions. He gets 2 units about every other, to every week, and mostly one bag of platelets per week. The itching has increased with the increase of blood treatments.

At first he thought it may be the chemo, or the Procrit or neuprogin, but it was not there all the time until his need for blood increased. How does he deal, he has learned to ignore it. Don't ask me how.

Hope this helps.

Scott
Son Of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 10:52 AM

itching and rashes

Hi, I have had sAA since 1998, had ATG with severe serum sickness, but about 5 years ago I started to get rashes and itching. I was also getting blood transfusions. Something seems to trigger this response and I have gone to many allergist and nothing seems to help. I am also becoming more and more allergic to foods, itching and tongue swelling. I was on Zyrtec and I became depressed and had suicide thoughts. I stopped it and the depression went away. Now I take benedryl, it helps a bit. I read, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, that the red blood cells not only deliver oxygen but also remove waste products from organs and tissue. Maybe the allergic response is from the lack of red blood cells and the waste is not moving out of the organs, and the skin is the largest organ. My count is between 6 and after a transfusion it goes to 7 or 8 which only lasts for 1 month. The itching and rashes have gotten worse since my red cells have dropped, never reaching normal range. Now I am trying to find a donor for a BMT. Lynn
Old Mon Nov 1, 2010, 07:29 PM

Yes it can make you itch: See this link

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/aranesp-side-effects.html
Arthur: born 1941; dx 1996 MDS/RARS, Treatment: Procrit weekly since 2003, shifted to aranesp Sept 2010 after procrit recall; also dx 2003 compound-heterozygous hemachromatosis, Treatment: routine phleobotomies to keep ferretin in safe levels.
Old Tue Nov 2, 2010, 10:03 PM

itching...

Itching may also be from antibiotics. Another Marrowforum member is currently going through Induction Chemo and she complained of her head itching. It ended up being the antibiotics she was receiving. So, recommend telling the attending doctor and asking about the antibiotics....

Good luck!
Cindy
Cindy, wife of Ron 66 dx w/MDS(RARS)Feb'09,Vidaza 13mons. BMB 2/10 -5q/increased blasts. Watch/wait May-Jul10. Revlimid Jul-Aug10:A-Fib. BMB Aug18, 12%blasts. MDS to AML. Induction completed 9/21/10. BMB Oct10:CR. Consolidaton:10/25/10. Dacogen Dec27-29. SCT on Hold. Fevers/Nt sweats Jan11.