Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Apr 3, 2017, 06:54 AM

BM Biopsy question

My husband needs to go to Vancouver for a Bone Marrow Biopsy (for a Myeloid Gene Panel).

It means he will be having the biopsy Wednesday morning and taking a bus home on Thursday morning (it is a 12 hour bus ride).

Does this seem doable? Do you think that I should travel with him? Could there be complications the day of the procedure?

He is taking the bus because it is a government bus that takes people who live in Northern BC to Vancouver, and it's super cheap.

Thanks in advance.
Husband (61) dx RAEB1 Apr 2015 after long term bad CBCs (first discovered Apr 2008 after an unknown infection had him hospitalized), currently on watch & wait with monthly bloodwork. Myeloid Gene Panel testing done Aug 2017, showed nothing worrisome. CEBPA mutation
Old Mon Apr 3, 2017, 08:17 AM

Hi, personally I doubt there will be any issues at all in terms of the biopsy. I've had quite a few and he will be up and walking normally in less then 2 hours. A 12 hour bus ride sounds hard for anyone though, but you do what you have to! Hope he has a good book! Good luck with results!
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!
Old Mon Apr 3, 2017, 11:02 AM

I just had my 20th BMB this last week. As we realize everyone is different but I have had zero problems with any of them. They have me continue lying down for 15 minutes following the procedure and then I hop off the table and walk out. I have golfed on the next day on occasion. They do stipulate that I can't drive for eight hours because of the Fentanyl 50 mcg IV that they give me.

The next day after the procedure the feeling is a very minor bruise which for me is almost undetectable for any discomfort. We wish him the best!!
Old Mon Apr 3, 2017, 01:53 PM
Owner

Complications from bone marrow biopsies are rare. Soreness and grogginess and more common than anything serious.

I think there's a strong change that it will be uneventful and that your help won't be needed. But that leaves a small chance that you could help with something that comes up unexpectedly. Since it's not a big expense, and if it wouldn't be a big inconvenience, then I suggest that you go along just in case.
Old Mon Apr 3, 2017, 05:50 PM

I've had all of mine without sedation, just a local at the insertion sight. I usually just clothe up afterward and go home, which, by the way, is a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. Never had a problem.
Old Mon Apr 3, 2017, 10:36 PM

Hi Bossywife,
As the wife of someone who has had numerous bone marrow biopsies - only one was a problem as he passed out in a restaurant from dehydration. Having said that, I would never let him go through one without my being there. Were the tables turned, I know I would want him there - and he would be there.
Best wishes,
Sally
Old Wed Apr 5, 2017, 03:35 PM

I'm with Sally

I'm with Sally. 12 hours is a long bus ride. Having a little help could go a long way if there were complications.
Old Wed Apr 5, 2017, 08:54 PM

I think two people would make a better trip. I had two BMBs (one on each hip) about four hours ago. They didn't want me driving (and I knew it going in) so it was important that my wife was with me.