Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Wed Oct 6, 2010, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Twelve Years Since BMT

Dear Friends,

Today I'm celebrating the 12th anniversary of my matched unrelated donor bone marrow transplant for MDS. I remain as grateful to my donor today as I was back in 1998, but with the passage of years comes an even greater appreciation of what it means to have been given the chance to live a fully active and healthy life.

I didn't write a message last year on my 11th anniversary because my family was struggling through some difficult times (illnesses, injuries, and death) and it just didn't seem like there was a lot to be celebrating. This year, I'm happy to say things have been much better. I'll soon reach one of the big goals I set for myself at the time of my transplant: in April I'll get to see my younger son graduate from college with a Bachelor's degree in architecture.

And, I'll be (almost) as proud when I receive my Master's degree in Museum Studies from Johns Hopkins University in May. It was a rather spur of the moment decision in late 2007 that led me to apply for graduate school. I've come to think of it as the gift I'm giving myself for having survived. I love it! Even when a nasty bout of bacterial pneumonia landed me in the hospital last November and almost forced me to drop out, I was able to persevere and finish the semester. It was a true test of the strength of my still-young immune system and it saved me. Since then, I'm pleased to report, I've been perfectly healthy.

Although I'm no longer serving on the AA&MDSIF Board of Directors, I have continued to support their efforts on behalf of AA, MDS, and PNH patients by helping to organize the first Hope, Steps & A Cure Walk in Los Angeles. In January of this year, with barely three months' planning, the LA Walk attracted more than 200 patients, families, and caregivers and raised nearly $13,000 to support the programs and services of the Foundation. Now, we are ramping up to expand our Walk for 2011 and hope to raise at least $35,000!

I've been pretty quiet here at Marrowforums since I've been in school, but I know you are in good hands with Neil providing his thoughtful guidance and information. It's really rewarding to see the ways in which you support each other, sharing the ups and downs we all have in dealing with bone marrow failure diseases. Being able to talk to others who understood what I was going through with AA, MDS, and transplant was a big part of what helped me get through it. I applaud you all for being seekers and givers of information and support.

Regards,
Ruth

Last edited by Ruth Cuadra : Thu Oct 7, 2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old Wed Oct 6, 2010, 09:13 PM

Happy Birthday!

Happy, happy birthday, Ruth, and congratulations on your awesome accomplishments. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful news, filled with hope and encouragement for everyone.

Hugs,
Karen
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Wed Oct 6, 2010, 11:05 PM

Congratulations all around Ruth!

You are a true inspiration to all of us here and deserve every bit of health and happiness you are now enjoying.

I am in awe of the degree to which you and Neil have given and continue to 'give back'. So many, including my family, benefit from all of your efforts and I cannot thank you enough.

Best wishes for continued health and happiness.

♥♥♥
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil
Old Thu Oct 7, 2010, 04:49 AM

Congratulations Ruth,Happy birthday.
I also thank you and Neil for this site.This site is so important for sick people.This site and this sites participants are so kind,and everyone wants to help someone in this site....
Old Thu Oct 7, 2010, 05:02 AM

Thumbs up 12 years

Hi Ruth,
Congratulations to the 12th anniversary of your BMT and your Master's degree in Museum Studies from Johns Hopkins University ! Many thanks to both you and Neil for this wonderful forum!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Thu Oct 7, 2010, 07:37 AM

Ruth you are awesome. Thanks for the inspiration, and thanks to both of you for this site.
Old Fri Oct 8, 2010, 08:13 PM

congrats ruth! So glad you are doing so wonderful.
Laura
Old Sat Oct 9, 2010, 06:53 PM

Dear Ruth

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments. I know Neil is so very proud of you. Thank you both for all of your contributions to the forum. Continue all your success!!!
Now have RAEB-2, Firbrosis 3+, blasts 18% peripheral, 10 - 14% blasts marrow, chromosomes now T 1:21, trisonomy 16 and 1.- Match found ---10/10 -couldn't believe when I heard - Tentative day is 1/09th!!!! Admit date changed to 11/12. WOW -
Old Sat Oct 9, 2010, 06:56 PM

Congrats!!!

I'm so happy for you!!!
Old Sat Oct 9, 2010, 10:19 PM

BMT anniversary

I am happy for you, Ruth. Many others would have just moved on , but you and Neil have been very special to give your time to this forum where I am sure you have helped and supported many patients and families. Thanks tytd
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 12:29 AM

Congratulations Ruth

And on a few different fronts!!! Thanks to you and Neil for setting up this site so others can find some information and comfort during difficult times.

Best regards,
Debbie
Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 12:31 AM

Congrats and thanks so much for the example that you are! You have been a thread of hope in all the craziness that is this sickness.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Thank you all for your good wishes. Yesterday at my annual checkup, I apologized to my doctor for being a boring patient with no major issues. She said "No, boring is good. We like boring!"

Regards,
Ruth
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 03:02 PM

Thank you Ruth & Nell

You have helped so many people with this forum and continue to give information. Being able to read and understand more about these diseases have been a blessing. Good luck and God bless.
ann
Old Sun Dec 5, 2010, 08:04 AM

Congratulations Ruth! Neil is very helpful. Congrats on your Masters as well! Quite the accomplishments! At least you give me a little more glimmer of hope as I am just beginning this journey. Love to you and your family. Lori
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)
Old Sun Dec 5, 2010, 09:20 AM

Congratulations

Kudos to you and Neil --- thank you both for keeping with this site to help so many -- the valuable info given here is heavensent. thank you
Now have RAEB-2, Firbrosis 3+, blasts 18% peripheral, 10 - 14% blasts marrow, chromosomes now T 1:21, trisonomy 16 and 1.- Match found ---10/10 -couldn't believe when I heard - Tentative day is 1/09th!!!! Admit date changed to 11/12. WOW -
Old Sun Feb 6, 2011, 07:33 PM

What A Hopeful Story

Ruth, I am just beginning my Transplant Journey, last week found out that none of my six siblings are a match, have been really leery about going the donor bank route but know it is only choice at this point. Loved your anniversary story, makes me think I will be OK. Thanks, Lindano
Old Mon Feb 7, 2011, 01:35 AM
Administrator

Lindano,

I'm glad to hear that you've taken some encouragement from my success with an unrelated donor transplant. The odds of success are even better now than they were back in 1998 when I had my transplant because of improvements in every aspect of the process. Patients tend to be healthier and more active throughout the journey and recover faster with fewer side effects than just a decade ago. It must be hard to believe that none of your six siblings were a match, but that shouldn't dissuade you entirely from seeking a cure via transplant if a matched donor can be found.

Regards,
Ruth
Old Thu Jun 9, 2011, 01:52 PM

I'm late to this party but I wanted to say thank you for posting. It gives me hope. I wish you continued health and success!