Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 06:29 PM

Shingles

Hi Everyone
Doing great after having ATG on April 1,2008 ,except one thing I have aqquired Inter Shingles has anyone experienced this? This is more painful than having a bone marrow biopsy or a baby. My doctor has given me Gavapinten which is a sizure medicine for pain but it is not working and ideas?
Thanks
Carol
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 08:00 PM
Owner

I'm sorry to hear about the shingles, ccartbmw, and that it's painful, not merely itchy. I saw that you mentioned it the other day in the My experience with AA thread.

Shingles is caused by the chickenpox virus and can be quite serious in patients without a fully functioning immune system. Shingles can apparently stay dormant for years, then show up when your immune system is suppressed, as when you undergo ATG. Be careful around small children or anyone else who might not have had chickenpox. They could get chickenpox from you.

Has your doctor ruled out antiviral medication?

Here are three previous Marrowforums threads where the subject of shingles has come up:
shane's story (shingles after a bone marrow transplant for severe aplastic anaemia)

Mom with MDS has shingles, eye infection and infected toe (shingles before and after Vidaza treatment for MDS)

Does anyone have prca? (shingles for a Pure Red Cell Aplasia patient)
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 09:44 AM

Hi Carol,

John had shingles too and yes they are quite painful. His doc put him on Valtrex for about two weeks. John's were on his left side, mid upper back and ran around to the front of his lower rib cage. You need to keep an eye on them...you don't want them around your eyes if you can avoid it.

From a natural approach, lysine and the B vitamins are ususally recommended. Especially B12. I also used lemon balm ointment on them. I used gloves when I applied it to the shingles. Lemon Balm is also called Melissa and the the esential oil is used for herpes and shingles. This helped ease the pain until they healed more.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.