Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 07:49 PM

Aranesp shortage?

My mother was recently switched to Aranesp; today her nursing home called and said there was a shortage and the only places getting a supply are the major cancer treatment centers. So I will have to go to her nursing home twice a week and transport her to get her injection.

Has anyone else heard of this? I am going to make some calls tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Last edited by mroman : Sun Oct 31, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 10:30 PM

Since there was such a drastic and sudden recall of procrit-- as a user I was affected thereby-- and since many users were switched to aranesp-- again, that applied to me-- it is likely that the sudden increased demand for aranesp has strained the available supplies.
Arthur: born 1941; dx 1996 MDS/RARS, Treatment: Procrit weekly since 2003, shifted to aranesp Sept 2010 after procrit recall; also dx 2003 compound-heterozygous hemachromatosis, Treatment: routine phleobotomies to keep ferretin in safe levels.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2010, 09:57 PM

OH, I hope it doesn't hit here. Once I was 3 days late due to a flood here and I started dropping like a rock. Hope everyone is doing OK. Anyone else having difficulty getting Aranesp?

Zoe
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 10:30 PM

Zoe, I don't think it's a severe shortage, my mother had no problem getting it at the hospital ( Lahey Clinic). It's more the secondary sources that are having issues, like pharmacies.

It's a major hassle for me, though, since I work full time and I have trouble transporting my mother by myself.
Old Mon Nov 1, 2010, 03:40 PM

Procrit Recall?

Hi
I just joined today and never had heard about a Procrit recall--I still have a dose in my fridge? Anyone have any info or can direct me? Thanks!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Mon Nov 1, 2010, 04:43 PM

The procrit recall was massive. It was not an issue over the drug per se but rather over the glass containers in which the drug was shipped/stored. They sloughed off tiny glass particles that, if injected into a patient, could cause problems. I expect procrit will likely be unavailable for a fair time even if they did not have to solve whatever problem occurred with the formulation of the drug that related to the glass issue.
Arthur: born 1941; dx 1996 MDS/RARS, Treatment: Procrit weekly since 2003, shifted to aranesp Sept 2010 after procrit recall; also dx 2003 compound-heterozygous hemachromatosis, Treatment: routine phleobotomies to keep ferretin in safe levels.
Old Tue Nov 2, 2010, 09:35 PM

I emailed the FDA last week and received a reply today. They say Amgen is reporting they have product available, so I will have to check with the nursing home pharmacy.

The nurse at Lahey was aware of the shortage when I brought my mom in last week, so I'm not sure what to believe, hopefully it will resolve shortly.
Old Wed Nov 3, 2010, 01:32 AM

Here is a link to the press release. The lot numbers of the vials being recalled are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm227202.htm
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Wed Nov 3, 2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroman View Post
I emailed the FDA last week and received a reply today. They say Amgen is reporting they have product available, so I will have to check with the nursing home pharmacy.

The nurse at Lahey was aware of the shortage when I brought my mom in last week, so I'm not sure what to believe, hopefully it will resolve shortly.
(the Aranesp)
Old Fri Nov 5, 2010, 08:24 PM

Got my aranesp today no problem, even down here in my rinky dink town.

Zoe