Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 08:46 PM

Question Missing Vidaza due to Xmas and New Years eve. How bad is that?

My mother is starting her 1st cycle today. She is on a 5-2-2 schedule.
Her next cycle should start on the 22nd of Decemberbut we were told the place where she receives the aza treatment is closed in the following days as they are bank holidays (they don't open on sat or Sundays)

24th December
25th December

31st December
1st January

5th January
6th January

They suggested not to start the aza cycles on Thursdays or Fridays therefore they might suggest to start her 2nd cycle on the 7th of January or even the 12th of January.
How bad can it be to delay her 2nd cycle by 3weeks?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 12:30 AM

dose delays are pretty common with vidaza and decitabine, but the impact of delays not due to marrow suppression doesn't have a lot of clinical data behind it as far as I have seen, so knowing the impact of a 3 week delay is very hard to predict. My personal preference would be to see if the office you are working with had any partner clinics that you could work with for the second cycle to prevent further delay, but I am not a doctor, nor am I an expert on Vidaza, but my preference is to work from the known rather than the unknown when it makes sense.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 09:38 AM

I had a similar situation when I started Vidaza last year at this time. I called Celgene and they wouldn't tell me anything except their programmed response that Vidaza was approved for treatment of seven consecutive days followed by a 21 day break. Since the location I received my Vidaza shots was only open Monday through Friday, I went to a different location for my weekend and holiday shots. This was similar to Dan's suggestion.