Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 03:02 PM

need help in understanding the chemo drug

Hi all.. My mom was diagnosed with ET about a year back and now transformed into raeb 2.. She is now taking chemo therapy and is on the drugs cytarabine and daunorubicin ... Are these effective drugs ?? Are they safe ?? I want my mom back in remission ... Is it possible ?

Her doc here says since she is an ET transformed into REAB 2 patient, her prognosis is going to be very poor.. Anyone in similar situation ?? Please help
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 12:46 AM

The two drugs you mentioned are used in the treatment of many blood cancers, but I think that we see these most in the treatment of AML or advanced MDS to try and push the disease into remission for either consolidation therapy or transplant. They are more traditional types of chemotherapy and there is a lot of experience using them. As with any type of chemotherapy, there are risks related to decreased blood counts, so prevention of infection and managing low platelets and red blood counts becomes very important.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.