Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 04:04 AM

Drug Induced Idiosyncrasy

Perhaps I am clutching at straws in searching for an external cause to reverse the MDS diagnosis!

So I do not mean to flood the forum with questions (I have searched the forum on this issue already). But it would be interesting to know if anyone has pursued this line of inquiry.

I found this medical school video that says that MDS may be caused by Drug Induced Idiosyncrasy. Video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLBZPg3EnVI ) at about 10 minutes drug induced Idiosyncrasy - low risk group (1/10,000 patients); high risk group (chlorpromazine; gold salts; Chloramphenicol ; anti-rheumatic drugs phenulbutazone and oxyphenbutazone)

However, on one of the antibiotics indicated for idiosyncrasies wikipedia (not always reliable I know - but getting to grip with the basics) states that the anaemia is not reversible.

This article explores the issue further http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1.../ajh.21433/pdf

So I was wondering if there are known idiosyncrasies or adverse drug reactions (as my father takes other meds too) that may be the cause - and hopefully if removed would reduce the symptoms.

Much obliged