Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon May 7, 2012, 01:48 PM

imatinib/gleevec

Consulted another oncologist, he advised imatinib/glevec 400mg. Consulted the treating oncologist, who said it is fot CML and not for MDS and advised agajnst it. Want to know if someone has used imatinib/glevec and with what response

Regards neel
Father age 64 diagnosed with MDS RAEB-2, with 15%-18% blasts in October 2010. Only had blood and platelet transfusions. Ayurvedic treatment which showed result for arnd 5 months. Started Tahlidomide 100 mg started on 22 nd April 2011. Revolade 50 mg started on 2 nd april 2012.
Old Mon May 7, 2012, 02:53 PM

Gleevec (imatinib)

Hi Neel,
As far as I understand your treating oncologist ir right. When I googled imatinib + MDS I found reports about patients who had developed MDS after treatment with imatinib and no positive results with Imatinib for MDS patients.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Mon May 7, 2012, 11:10 PM

thanx brig

I find those articles too, but wanted to know if someone from this forum is using this drug and with what results. Seems the only option left is decitabine now. However my father is too weak now, his health , energy and tollerance has really depreciated in last one month.

Hoping and praying for the best.

With best regards to you all
neel
Father age 64 diagnosed with MDS RAEB-2, with 15%-18% blasts in October 2010. Only had blood and platelet transfusions. Ayurvedic treatment which showed result for arnd 5 months. Started Tahlidomide 100 mg started on 22 nd April 2011. Revolade 50 mg started on 2 nd april 2012.
Old Tue May 8, 2012, 04:26 PM

Neel,

I have seen a couple of articles where a person has responded, but they had markers in their blood that made them candidates for the treatment. Specifically patients that respond have the philadelphia chromosome bcr-abl + , or they test positive for PDGFR alpha.

hope this helps.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.