Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 04:35 AM

Vidaza and Epival/Depakene

Hi All,
Here is a study about Vidaza in combination with one of the new histone deacetylase inhibitors - valproic acid called Epival or Depakene.
http://www.mdsbeacon.com/news/2009/1...tic-syndromes/
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 02:09 AM

I am going to take this report with us when my husband sees his oncologist Monday. Sounds promising. Thank you for your research. It is appreciated.

ann
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 05:49 AM

Valproic acid (Epival or Depakene)

Hi Ann,
You know in this study the patients had MDS Interm-2 or high risk. I don't think I have read anything about your husband's stage but patients with lower risk disease may get better results than the patients in the study where only 26 of 62 patients completed eight cycles. Of these 26 patients 46% had a major hematologic improvement.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 02:24 AM

Smile

My husband is in the Intermediate 2 risk group. He has abnormal chromosone 7. His IPSS score waas bone marrow blasts 5 Karyotype poor...........I don't really know what all this means except that it isn't good. We are going to fight to the end. He has felt so good for the past three weeks and his counts have been better than ever. He is doing Vidaza every 28 days for 5 days with shots of Procrit inbetween the Vidaza treatments. He gets the Vidaza through a port. This port has been wonderful since at the first part of his treatment he was having so many blood transfusions but hasn't had to have one in almost a month. His doctor is very pleased with his progress.
Thank you for your support to everyone. I know that I appreciate everyone's input. I feel like I am stumbling in the dark most of the time. God bless you.
ann:
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 05:18 AM

Good response

Hi Ann,
Thank you for the kind words ! You know as long as your husband is responding so well when he is treated with Vidaza it is better to not change anything but continue with Vidaza.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 09:42 PM

Cool

That's what his oncologist told us today. She was so happy with his counts today and said she wouldn't see us for 2 weeks. We go back for Procrit next Monday but no labs, then the next week he goes for labs, office visit and his 5th round of Vidaza. He looks and feels so much better. When he first heard the diagnosis back in June, he was ready to give up. He gave away his pickup to one of the daughters, forgave a loan to a granddaughter and now I am laughing at him telling him that next thing he will be wanting to buy a new truck. We have such a good time together and love to laugh. Tonight we went out with 20+ church friends to celebrate 4 birthdays. We were a rowdy bunch. We decided not to let anyone know we were from a church or to tell them we were from a church down the street!!! I think laughter is the best medicine and good friends and family are some of the best medicine available.
Thank you for being there for so many on this forum.
ann