Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Sat Dec 17, 2011, 09:51 AM

Vitamin D Receptor Agonists in the Treatment of Autoimmune Diseases

This is a good article about the use of VDR agonists to treat autoimmune disease: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...bmr.07s217/pdf

The treatment I'm on uses olmesartan as the VDR agonist, and you limit your blood levels of vitamin D to reduce the level of the hormone 1,25D (short for 1,25(OH)2D3). It is replaced by olmesartan which binds into the VDR.

When I had my vitamin D measured, my serum vitamin D was low, but my 1,25D (the active metabolite) was high. It is not common to test for 1,25D, which is why very often people have low vitamin D and are considered vitamin D deficient. If they tested for the active metabolite it could show otherwise. The theory is that most people with AI disease seem to be D-deficient, but it is a result of and not the cause of the disease, and is dysregulated in AI disease.

Deb
Old Mon Dec 11, 2017, 07:22 PM

Immunostimulation to treat Aplastic Anemia

Hi Deb,

It's been years since you posted but I'm wondering how you progressed with Olmesartan as treatment for your condition. I just finished reading the original Marshall article, "Immunostimulation in the era of the metagenome." Found it fascinating, but it seems like research in this area may have stalled. Can't find much since publication date that appears relevant.

I'd appreciate any info. you could provide. I'm Severe AA, post ATG, and currently on Cyclosporine and Promacta. Two months out of treatment. ANC has gone up slightly but otherwise not showing much response.

Thanks,
Joe Starr