Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Pediatrics
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pediatrics Treatment for juvenile patients

Old Tue Feb 1, 2011, 11:38 PM

Dental issues post transplant

Has anyone had any dental issues post transplant they'd like to share?
My son's 6 year molars came in discolored and sensitive. We have a dental appointment at the end of February.

Also any direction on how siblings of AA patients are doing emotionally would be helpful. My older son is... less mature than other 8 year olds. A bit of a challenge.

Thanks
Jen
Old Wed Feb 2, 2011, 05:07 AM

I had a lot of ugly, dark stains on my teeth, caused by the constant mouthwashes needed during and after my transplant. The cracks between my front teeth were especially bad. I've been to the dentist for regular checkups 2 or 3 times post-transplant now and he's gotten off most of the staining with his professional whirring tools, but there's always a teensy bit left that he can't get to in the deepest part between my teeth. And it seems almost like this little bit that's left makes the staining come back by the time I've got the next checkup (yeah, it really doesn't make sense to me that a stain could do that, but that's what I'm observing). But there's a little less there each time I visit so maybe next time it'll be gone entirely.

I actually just had a checkup on Monday and he mentioned my staining and asked after the usual causes - but I don't use mouthwash, I don't smoke, I don't drink coffee, and I always take my tea with milk, and only 3-4 cups a day, so he couldn't figure out why my staining was still coming back, either.... I never had a problem with staining until I had to take all those transplant mouthwashes.

I haven't had any sensitivity issues, though, nor have I had any cavities post-transplant (which isn't a big surprise since I've only had two in my whole life).
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)