Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Sun Oct 4, 2009, 10:45 PM

New Intro (Warning Long Rambling Post)

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed in January 2002 with Severe Aplastic Anemia (Ideopathic). Was really a fluke I was out training and got pulled in for a routine 5 year physical. I went back to training, I was exhausted bruised battered, but I thought was all part of training. So never noticed the symptoms. At the time I was an Infantry Sgt in the Marines, and being worn out and fatigued,, well I just thought we all were, and there was no way I was goin to let my junior marines see me dragging.

Well no sooner did I get back to training, when I got pulled out again in an expeditious manner. I went back to the Dr. who told me my platellet count was below 5k. I was xfered to a civilian doctor, who did a bone marrow biopsy he confirmed aplastic anemia, then I was medivac'd to Bethesda MD. Where I stayed under supervision for awhile. Started receiving blood / platellet transfusions on a regular basis along with my daily CBC counts. Then I started going through the ATG series. Did fairly well was not a fan of the cyclosporine tablets, I have always had a problem taking pills. But once I got on the liquid I was doing great. Over the course of a year I started going from being seen 2-3 daily to 2-3 a week then a month then a year, now I am seen on a yearly basis with a bone marror biospy.

My counts have never been that great or "normalized" with what the doctors said they should be around, and counts are doign what I refere to as "roller coasting" they go up and then go down. I have become very good at reading my body, I know when I need to rest and just take a step back. Some days are better than others. It has been an incredible journey.

Since I was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia, I was medically retired from the Marine Corps. I tried everything I could think of to stay in and to no avail. I never really knew what I wanted to do with my life and thought I would stay in the military forever. But one thing I always wanted to do was become a police officer.

I spoke to several police recruiters, majority wanted me to apply to them, till I told them my medical condition. A couple of agencies gave me a chance, as long as my primary SAA Doctor gave me a recommendation, which he did, he told me I was at the peak of my coaster, were I could do the academy.

I went to the academy and every day felt like 2, every mile I ran felt like I was running 3. And the only thing that kept me going was becoming a police officer. I got 5 days from graduation (6 month) academy, and I relapsed, my platellet count fell under 40k and I told the academy that, we were doing fighting scenarios at the time. And this ended my academy days, and I was not allowed to graduate.

I took a couple of months off and started talking to people about going back,, which the county I work for had a whole series of demands from multiple evaluations to doctor consults etc.. and a lawyer here and there. well make a long story short, I got a call from the Academy Director and I could come back, but I would have to run the entire academy all over again

We'll I went back. I am a very stubborn person and refuse to let anything beat me, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing half the time, but I ened up going back and graduated in the top 10 of my class. And have been a police officer now for the past 5 years.

I again appoligize for the long post, It is great to be here, and look forward to meeting alot of friends.
Old Mon Oct 5, 2009, 02:17 AM
Owner

What an amazing story of perseverance, koda0317! You are the very definition of steadfast determination.

I encourage you to send your story to the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation. They look for uplifting stories of survival after bone marrow failure, and yours is truly inspiring.

You can send them stories by email to mystory@aamds.org or by postal mail addressed to "My Story" at their address in Maryland.
Old Tue Oct 6, 2009, 04:20 AM

YOU GO gUY!!!! Don't give up, just keep on going. I admire your determination. Our grandson is a policeman and it is an admirable profession and we need more men like you. God bless.
Old Wed Oct 7, 2009, 08:42 AM

What a great story! Thanks so much for sharing - you're an inspiration.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)