Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sun May 31, 2015, 11:16 PM

Help with interpreting WBC result

Hi all - since it's a couple of months before I see my Haematologist I'm just wondering if anyone can explain what the "D" and "PC" stand for in my white blood cell result, which today shows "WBC 1.4 D PC" ? I don't recall seeing this before, but maybe I just haven't noticed it. Neuts also show 0.6 D. Usually my results for these just have L for low.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Mon Jun 1, 2015, 12:33 AM

Good question, Cheryl! Maybe it depends upon the machine they use to run the CBC. They might have updated theirs. Sometimes mine will have a star next to an abnormal result, besides an L or H. They told me that then they have to rerun the lab b/c the system flagged it. Sometimes there is a star next to a normal result too. PC maybe per computer?? That's all I can think of anyway, sorry!
Mags
Old Mon Jun 1, 2015, 05:22 AM

I don't know what the acronym might be but my results sometimes have next to them whether they are manually confirmed to be low or just computer tested. Maybe it has to be something to do with D for down and personally confirmed. (Verified) Labs seem to change their reporting styles all the time. Why don't you ring the lab and ask....they should explain how they report.
Old Mon Jun 1, 2015, 11:29 PM

Tks for your thoughts friends. I'll check with the lab next time I go in. My results have gone down a little bit this month, but they've been lower than that before and nothing has been noted so it's a mystery.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.