Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 04:48 PM

Preparing for a Bone marrow transplant

My name is Nina van Nunen. I am 46 years old, married and have two daughters aged 13 and 18. I live in the Netherlands with my husband and daughters, but we are South African. I was diagnosed with MDS in October 2005. After a failed ATG treatment in January 2006, and a tough year of heavy medication (Prednison, Cyclosporin and Antibiotics), my sister was tested as a possible donor for a BMT.
I am extremely fortunate that she was found to be a very good match and is willing to donate her bone marrow to me. She arrived in Holland a week ago and we have started the tests etc. If all goes well, I will go into hospital on the 6th of Feb and start heavy chemo treatment through a long line in one of my main arteries, to destroy 80% of my own bone marrow in preparation for the new bone marrow. I am scheduled to receive the new bone marrow on the 14th of February. I am extremely positive and know that I will get through this. I am so lucky to have great support form friends, family and people I hardly know throughout the world... (We live in an International community and I have taught at an International school in the Netherlands, so I have met so many people during the past 6 years.)
I am a bit apprehensive as to how things will be and how I will take the Chemo, but after reading Ruth's wonderful story of success, I am confident that I will also get through this.
I am very greatful for this opportunity to make contact with people in the same boat as me and to share my feelings and fears with others.
To be able to communicate with people who have been through what you are facing makes the ordeal a lot less scary...
I will try and keep updates on how the treatment is going and how I feel, to help others.
In the meantime, Thank you Ruth for setting up this wonderful platform where we can come to when we feel lost and over whelmed...
God bless,
Nina :)

Last edited by Ruth Cuadra : Fri Jun 8, 2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Glad you are here

Dear Nina,

I know you are about to start the pre-conditioning for your transplant. I hope the tests with your sister went smoothly. If you have a chance, we'd love to have updates on your progress.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey back to good health.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 11:12 PM

Smile Good Luck

Hi Nina
Good luck with your transplant- I am being treated at MDA also and an I am down there often. I may at some point require a transplant for my MDS. Who is your transplant doctor and do you see any of the other doctors in the leukemia department? I am seeing Cortes.
George Peveto
Irving TX.
972 986 6516
Old Thu Feb 8, 2007, 07:18 PM

hi nina,

you are obviously going through transplant just now, so i'm a bit late in wishing you all the best. my son went through all this a couple of years ago now and has come out of it with great results. he was very lucky and hardly had any problems.

i do hope you sail smoothly through. wishing you, your family and friends, all the best. it's teamwork all round

gina xxx
Old Thu Jun 7, 2007, 11:11 AM

Unhappy Bone marrow donor

My name is Liesel. I'm from Cape Town, South Africa. A few days ago I read my sister, Nina van Nunen's, message on this website. She wrote it in February of this year (2007) just after I arrived in the Netherlands to be her donor.
She told me about this site, but this is the first time that I actually looked it up. The reason why I did it now is because she died on the 25th of May after complications – and I miss her so very much. It's so terribly sad to read her optimistic words now. The transplant went so well, but she contracted 2 viruses.
I just want to wish anyone who has to undergo a transplant the best of luck, and I think we were just very unlucky.
But I think we underestimated the whole process, and thought that the transplant itself is the major thing. Now I don't think that anymore – I believe that the 90 days afterwards is so very very crucial. Please look after youself then.

Thank you
Liesel Pienaar
Old Thu Jun 7, 2007, 04:03 PM

So sorry

I,m so sorry to hear about your sister..my god be with you and your pain...god bless
Old Fri Jun 8, 2007, 01:29 AM
Administrator

Dear Liesel,

Thank you for checking in with us and your very compassionate and correct advice that the transplant itself is not really the main event--it is the care immediately afterwards that is so crucial.

I posted the news of Nina's passing to the Marrowforums community (see Nina's other thread), but I neglected to recognize you for being her donor and giving her the chance to find health again. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my donor, so your gift to Nina is particularly meaningful for me.

I'm sorry not to have had the chance to meet your sister in person. I felt like I knew her a bit from the emails we exchanged. She was a lovely lady.

With sympathy,
Ruth Cuadra
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 12:58 PM

Unhappy Sorry

Hi
I am sorry to hear about your sister. Are you and Nina originally from Beaufort West?