Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 02:33 PM

blood cell changes

my first time posting my counts are approving since ATg. only needed one RBC and 1 platelet transfusion since February 18th when I finished treatment but found some strange things in my last 2 labs in the differential and am concerned esp.after googling them!
Variant lymph. smudge cells polychromasia hypochromia anisocytosis
macrocytosis elliptocytes. has this happened to anyone else? Btw this forum has been a Godsend to me
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 04:43 PM
Owner

Mary Ellen,

I interpret the lab report to be saying there are some dead lymphocytes and there are red cells that are higher than average in number and in cell volume, have less than normal hemoglobin, are of varying sizes, and are elongated.

But looking up definitions doesn't give us any context, and patients aren't expected to interpret this type of medical jargon on their own. It's best to ask the doctor to explain what the findings mean for this stage of your recovery. Perhaps some of these symptoms will concern the doctor but perhaps they are expected or at least not uncommon during ATG recovery, which may take many more months.

We don't need a doctor's explanation to know that going 2 months with only 2 transfusions is a great sign, so congratulations for that.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 07:53 PM

Neil

Thanks for the answer. I did ask dr. he couldn't find the report in the computer and told me "trust him he's a doctor don't worry about it"
Guess I need to change drs
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 09:53 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermarye View Post
Thanks for the answer. I did ask dr. he couldn't find the report in the computer and told me "trust him he's a doctor don't worry about it"
Guess I need to change drs
That's an inappropriate way for a doctor to treat a patient. Doctors should welcome a partnership with their patients, not dismiss their concerns. I would ask the institution or practice for an appointment with someone else, who can discuss your recovery and lab reports with you. If that leads to changing hematologists, you'll have the chance that you should, to be an active participant in your own care.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 12:55 PM

When my son was recovering from Aplastic Anemia his bone marrow would spit out whatever it could, according to his Dr. - immature neutrophils, macrocytes, microcytes, ovalycytes, nucleated red blood cells. All of these sound like bad news when you google them individually but his doctor said it was fine. Polychromasia is a sign of immature blood cells but that means you are spiting out lots of baby red blood cells. You would expect to see macrocytic cells b/c the older red blood cells are smaller than the big, newer ones, and you are producing a larger proportion of newer ones. I agree that you shouldn't worry about these but I wish you'd gotten the explanation from your doctor.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 04:01 PM

Lightbulb

thank you for your replies. I've learned so much with this disease, more than I needed to know.