Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Thu Nov 5, 2009, 08:33 AM

Neutrophils

Hi all,

My neutrophils are currently 1.1 , White Blood Cells 2.3. Its nearly my birthday and i'm due to go out with friends at the weekend to celebrate. Does anyone think that going to a bar would be too risky with counts like this? I'm a bit worried about it but also want to be able to celebrate. Let me know your thoughts, thanks v. much

Carolyn
Old Thu Nov 5, 2009, 11:37 AM

Hi Carolyn,

Most experts agree that a neutrophil count consistently trending above 0.5 is all you need to be adequately protected.

If you are consistently above 1.0, you should be able to go out and enjoy your celebrations, using reasonable precautions of avoiding sitting in the vicinity of someone who is sneezing or coughing and eating at a restaurant that you can trust to maintain excellent food handling techniques. Choosing bottled beverages is safer than fountain style drinks as you are relying on that establishment to properly maintain a sanitization routine and that can be chancy.

Happy birthday and have fun!
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil