Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Pediatrics
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pediatrics Treatment for juvenile patients

Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 08:59 AM

AA, Autistic with a cold

Hi, I am new to this site, my nephew has AA and Autism. He has a virus (a cold) he has been sick for past 5days with high temperatures between 38 and 41. My sister has taken him to the hospital twice, his counts are stable so they have sent him home saying he needs to ride it out. I am worried he seems to be getting worse and is not eating or drinking very much and is inactive. His temperature is being controlled by children's pandadol. There must be something they can do? Can anyone offer some advice?
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 03:41 PM

Sorry you all are going through this. I am not a medical professional but am an AA patient. What is his Neutrophil count and white blood count? The main reason to have him in the hospital at this point is if his neutrophile count is low or if he needs fluids, platelets, or red blood cells.

In the U.S. the normal range for neutrophil count would be above 1700/cubic millimeter for an adult. The doctors told me I would not be able to produce a normal immune response to infections until my neutrophils were above 1000. Is he above this level? If he is not talking in enough fluids I would definitely call the pediatrician or hematologist. People with Marrow diseases can easily have significant changes in blood chemisty.

I have been told a hospital is no place for a sick person. The possibility of catching another virus is probably highest when at or in the hospital.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 07:20 AM

Thank you for your response, Christian has since been admitted into hospital. He is having difficulties breathing and is hooked up to machines to assist him. His mum and dad are with him, while I am caring for his 2yr old sister.
Thanks again.