Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Mon Oct 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Ten Years Since BMT

Dear Friends,

Today is a very special today. It is the 10th anniversary of my matched unrelated donor bone marrow transplant for MDS/RA. I am both grateful and proud to be in very good health and to be able to enjoy life to its fullest.

At the time of my transplant, I had a couple of personal goals that kept me going when times were rough: to go to Japan with my husband on our 25th anniversary (still 7 years away at the time) and to see my sons graduate from college (they were in high school and middle school). The anniversary trip has come and gone, but this year the gift of life that I got from my donor let me see my son, Jimmy, graduate from the University of California, San Diego. My tears on his graduation day were the result of my pride in his achievements and the realization, once again, that I am so lucky to have survived.

This year my transplant anniversary coincides with the AA&MDSIF's 25th anniversary of service to patients, families, and caregivers dealing with bone marrow failure diseases. As many of you know, I've been supporting the AA&MDSIF by serving on its Board of Directors since 2004. We've made great strides in increasing awareness about bone marrow diseases and advocating for more research funds from the government and donors everywhere. This past summer, Neil and I participated in the Foundation's Advocacy Day as two of more than 125 people who made personal visits to our representatives in the House and Senate to ask for their support in finding cures for bone marrow diseases. Below is a picture of me giving Rep. Mary Bono Mack (R-CA) a plaque from the Foundation that recognizes her support of our work.

My donor doesn't want thanks or admiration for what she did, but I was looking for a way to honor her on this significant anniversary. I decided the best thing I could do was to continue helping those who are struggling as I once did, by contributing to the AA&MDSIF in her honor. If you feel inclined, I would love to have you join me by donating to the AA&MDSIF in honor of "Ruth's Donor". There is still much work to be done.

Best Regards,
Ruth Cuadra
Name:  Mary_and_Ruth.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  67.6 KB
Mary Bono Mack and Ruth Cuadra
(click for larger version)
Old Tue Oct 7, 2008, 11:58 AM

Congrats and wishing many more happy and healthy years.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Oct 8, 2008, 05:33 AM

Thumbs up 10 years

Dear Ruth,
How wonderful that you can have this anniversary ! You have really done much for all MDS/AA patients to show your gratitude.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Tue Nov 4, 2008, 09:38 AM

Smile How wonderful.

How wonderful, both to celebrate your 10th anniversary and to help with the fight against these diseases. My daughter will celebrate her 2nd anniversary post transplant in Jan 2009 and everyday is a joy. She is 8 going on 30 and loves life. Thank you for the inspiration. Nicole Garen(carepages: AliciaGaren)
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 12:53 AM

Congratulations

Ruth - you have been an incredible inspiration to me, I have read your story several times as I will be receiving my BMT soon after the first of the year. Thanks for all you do and I wish you many, many more years of good health.
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 11:22 PM

wow!

Hi Ruth,
You are amazing!
take care,
beryl