Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 06:32 PM

Arsenol

Has anyone ever heard of the liquid arsenic (Arsenol) being used in Hong Kong to treat Leukemia, Lymphoma and other diseases in place of BMT. It just received a US patent. My brother flies to Hong Kong regularly on business and sent me a picture of the article. From what I read it sounds like it has a very good success rate there and poses less risk, even for the elderly. I'm trying to find the article in a form that I can share.
Jill, 58 y/o female dx with MDS-U June 2008, IPSS:Int. 2. Allogeneic SCT May 25, 2010. Relapsed January 2011. Started Vidaza (azacitadine) Feb. 2011; Currently on cycle #58 , IV, 5-days every six weeks. WBC 5.3, Hgb 13.0, PLT 110 (2/16/18)
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 06:14 AM

Arsenic Trioxide

Hi Jill,
I don't know anything about liquid arsenic but i think that drug could be effective in treating MDS because arsenic in the form of arsenic trioxid intravenously has been used during many years in MDS. In this study 23% of the patients responded.
http://ash.confex.com/ash/2009/webpr...aper17375.html
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 09:38 AM

Hi Birgitta,
It is the liquid form of arsenic trixoxide developed at the University of Hong Kong. It was just announced that it has received a patent in the US. It has primarily been used for the treatment of APL with great results. I am trying to find out what paper this article was printed in so I can share. I don't know if it's a complete cure, but could be great for patients that are not able to undergo a transplant.
Jill
Jill, 58 y/o female dx with MDS-U June 2008, IPSS:Int. 2. Allogeneic SCT May 25, 2010. Relapsed January 2011. Started Vidaza (azacitadine) Feb. 2011; Currently on cycle #58 , IV, 5-days every six weeks. WBC 5.3, Hgb 13.0, PLT 110 (2/16/18)
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 03:30 PM

Oral arsenic trioxide

Hi Jill,
Here is one article about oral arsenic - quite old but it has been cited by other articles as you can see at the end of the article.
http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrar...full/102/1/407
Kind regards
Birgitta-A