Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 08:15 PM

Cyclosporine and sunshine and camp job

My son is due to have ATG the end of March and then start Cyclosporine after that. He is a camp counselor, will that be too much sun for him? Will sunscreen and a hat be enough protection? Should he wear that UV clothing also?

He is 15, if thats relevant.

Thank you!
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 09:59 PM

Cyclosporine and sun don't mix. For me, it actually feels like my skin is burning, especially on the higher doses. I would recommend a hat and the spf clothing and reapplying sunscreen and lipscreen *often*. Cyclosporine is linked to increased risks of skin cancer, so watch your son's skin for changes. Also, make sure he stays well hydrated, as it is hard on the kidneys as well.

I'm still out in the sun, but I keep covered/lathered up and will seek shade whenever possible.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2011, 01:36 PM

I know there are a lot of medications that increase sun sensitivity, but nobody told us anything about cyclosporine being one of them. We have a farm/plant nursery in Hawaii, so we both work out in the sun full time. Sunscreen, hats, long pants and sleeves are a necessity anyway, but Ken hasn't had any special problems that I'm aware of due to the sun, even when he was on a higher dose than he is now.