Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:54 PM

Smile Large red blood cells

I had Aplastic Anemia for 5 years when I was 5 years old due to the drug Chloramycetin.. Everytime I go to Doctor for blood work etc. They tell me my Red Blood cells are very large but there is no indications of why? I am wondering if maybe this is a lasting effect from having Aplastic Anemia.. Does anyone else have this problem????
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 07:45 PM
Owner

Have they used a technical name to describe your enlarged red cells? If they say it's macrocytosis, you can read about it here. Aplastic anemia isn't listed as a direct cause, but one of the causes of macrocytosis can be chemotherapy. Did you receive ATG or another treatment for the aplastic anemia? If so, it could be residual effect of the treatment, not of the disease.

I read that the antibiotic chloramphenicol (chloramycetin) was once widely used but that once it became apparent that it could cause aplastic anemia its use was limited to only the most serious diseases, where the risk was unavoidable. It's a shame your bone marrow was damanged by chloramphenicol, even if it was the best treatment at the time.

In any case, I think it's worth asking your doctor if anything needs to be done about the larger than average red cells. Even if the answer is no, you'll appreciate the reassurance.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:46 PM

Red Blood Cells

Thanxs for responding I never knew this website existed but I am glad I found it.. They dont seem to know why as all my other counts are fairly normal. Maybe B-12 low.. I was just curious.. If anyone had heard of this. I did not have Chemo. They treated me with heavy doses of Testosterone and Prednisone. Put me on real high doses weaned me off received blood did this for 5 years until finally one time they weaned me down and my blood counts rose by themselves instead of dived... And that was that.. I realize I am very lucky.. Talked of Bone Marrow transplant back then (1962) But was pretty new deal parents opted out of trying that..I guess I am glad they did. Thanxs again.. Have a great weekend.. Lori
Old Mon Oct 4, 2010, 01:50 PM

Unhappy

I went through the exact same thing. Please reply.

I notice you have not been on for awhile.
Old Mon Oct 4, 2010, 06:16 PM

Similar problem

I also started out with macrocytosis. I also had purpura on my legs/calves, especially when I was on my feet all day. I have slowly began to have other abnormalities in my blood cells, but nothing too bad (anicytosis, macrocytes both at 3+ and teardrop cells). I'm suppose to get a BMB. I'm also losing a little weight, but not anything bad. Let me know how it goes for you. When I was a kid they thought I had Scholein-Henoch purpura. I was treated with prednisone at the time. Now, they don't know what I have, but pre-leukemia is what they are going to check for. So, I'm reading about marrow problems for support or ideas.
Old Tue Oct 5, 2010, 08:16 AM

Wink

I have always had "little red spots on my legs" but never really thought anything of it. They aren't as big as the one they show on google of course.
So I'm not sure if that would have been a sign that something was going on.

I found out about the macrocytosis about 8 years ago. My MD figure it was just something we should watch. (We don't have very thourough Dr.s here) So we watched. and every year the MCV went higher but nothing else ever was flagged until the shortness of breath started getting to bad.

I have had 2 BMB. Both have shown no abnormalities. I must tell you that I was scared and nerveous for the first one. I had just had my first tranfusion and had no idea what was happening to me. Just the idea of the whole thing was scary. The Dr that did the extraction had everything wrapped up in less than 5 minutes. I think my panic caused me more grief thatn the actual proceedure. The second one when extreemly well. Again it was done in less than 5. We were 6 patients lined up in a row and the Dr. came in and was finished in 25 minutes. I was nervous but I talked my way through it and before I knew it, he was done. Mind over matter sometimes works wonders.

But after having 2 BMB, a thymus scan, a thyroid complete work up weekly blood work , 2 tranfusions ( 4 pints and 2 pints) and a crazy dose of prednisone, things are normal. It was a 2 year roller coaster ride.

Let me know what they come up with after your BMB.

Have they done a Thymus scan yet?

I am going for blood work every three months now. My July results where all normal. Not even an elevated MCV. I will be going on Thusrday, and Hopefully will get the same results.

I've had a few people mention red cell aplasia as a possible diagnosis but my Hemo. had ruled that out because I had Macrocytosis for so long.

Let's keep "plugging away" at this.
Old Thu Oct 7, 2010, 09:46 AM

I will "plug away"

Thank you for your response. It has been rare that I find someone who may have similar symptoms as myself. My Thymus (I think) has been checked, but I'm not sure. It this a part of the thyroid gland? I had a thyroid iodine scan and a thyroid ultrasound. I also had a thyroid biopsy. I had nodules, but my hormones were fine and the biopsy was normal. I am to have the BMB on the 15 of Oct. I will let you know how it goes. My throid scan was uncomfortable but lasted about 20 minutes so who knows, the BMB may not be so bad if it doesn't last very long . Thanks again for your reply. I will definately keep at this. My immune system isn't that great, (I catch alot of stuff) but my blood tests aren't that bad so we will see what happens.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 09:07 AM

Hello Idubeat!

So, how did it go? I hope that everything went super well Have you received any other results?

I was at an education day in Ottawa over the weekend, wow, met a lot of great people and got a lot of info.

Let me know how thing s went.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 09:02 PM

Smile BMB went well

Hi,
I don't have any lab results but the BMB wasn't as bad as I had imagined it to be. I did begin to faint once but it was because my blood pressure was too low, but not because of the process of the BMB. I definatly wouldn't be afraid to do this again, but hopefully I won't have to. I'm supposed to get my results on Oct 27th, I will post them. I hope you are doing well and you enjoyed your trip.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 07:01 PM

large red cells

I too am concerned about MCV count. I am 17 days out from the start of hATG treatment and am on cyclosporine and prednisone now. My WBC, RBC and platelets are increasing on their own, praise God!! Have not had any transfusion since end of ATG week. But, MCV (size of RBC, as I understand it) has been steadily increasing. Was going down while I was in hospital and being treated, but I was also getting B12 shots that week.
I just left a msg with my doctor today to ask if he should be giving me B12 to reduce the MCV. My first hemotologist was all about B12 therapy for the macrocytosis. He referred me to another hemo that specialized in AA and BMT, and little has been said about the B12. I'm probably driving him nuts, but I'm a banker and I live for the numbers. All black and white for me. I don't know if this helps, but you should definitley ask about B12 and/or Folate deficiencies if you are experienceing macrocytosis issues.
Donna, age 44, diagnosed AA 9/30/10; treated h-ATG 10/3/10 and cyclosporine to 2012; Oct 2012 Duodenal cancer/Whipple procedure; 7/29/13 diagnosed PNH; July 2014 stable but very low HgB & Platelets(25-35)-Cyclosporine; Prednisone and bi-weekly soliris infusions