Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 09:32 PM

"Thank You"

I wanted to say thank you to everyone on the forum for answering all my questions that arose during my dad's fight with this horrible disease. Every response has helped my family and I ask approriate questions, and demand the needs that my dad needed.

Unfortunately my dad lost his battle yesterday with MDS/AML. We had almost 2 years with him since his diagnoses which we are so grateful for and will cherish forever. He left the way he wanted, he was at home surronded by all of us.

This forum really has been a saving grace for me. Again thank you everyone for sharing you stories for all of us to read, you just never know if your story will be able to help someone else. Trust me it has helped my family and I more than you can imagine.

Thank you again,
Kim
Kim daughter of Phil 76; Diagnosed 2011 with MDS, Refractory anemia with excessive blasts; Diagnosed 2012 with AML; Treated with Vidaza and Dacogen; Currently only being treated with blood transfusions
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
Owner

Kim,

I'm very sorry that your dad has passed away. You showed us how a family member should act to help a loved one, by finding out how to support your dad in practical ways while still letting him call the shots, especially when you faced the hospice decision.

Despite all that you and your family were going though, you were here supporting other patients and their families and we can't thank you enough for that. It's also very thoughtful of you to post now despite what must be a very hard time for you and your family.

I hope that the best times you had with your dad will remain foremost in your memories and give you peace. We're still here if we can help you now or anytime in the future.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 12:19 AM

Kim, I'm so very sorry. Thank you for thinking of and thanking the rest of us during which is a very difficult time for you.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 04:35 AM

MDS

Dear Kim,
How sad that your father lost his fight after a long battle. Your support was very important.
Warm regards
Birgitta-A
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 06:32 AM

Kim,

So sad to hear the news about your dad. You were always there to give him support through this awful disease.

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Patti and Dean
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 07:34 AM

Our Condolences

Kin;
You and your family have our sincerest condolences on the loss of your father. I echo everyone else's sentiments when they tell you what a help you have been, and that we are always here if you need us.

((((HUGS))))
Beth
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 08:08 AM

Dear Kim,
I hope that knowing you did everything you could to help your Dad will bring you comfort and peace - and that he is whole again and not suffering any longer.
God Bless you and your family,
Sally
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 11:10 AM

Kim I am so sorry for your loss. Of course words are never enough in times like these. I think losing my Dad was one of the hardest things I have ever gone thru. We are all here for you hon. My prayers to you and your family during this very rough time.

Elaine
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 03:11 PM

Kim,

I am so sorry to learn that your Dad passed away. I know you were a comfort to him and this forum was blessed to have you sharing his story. I hope you will be comforted in the tough days ahead with wonderful memories of your Dad. God bless you always.
Linda, Al's wife, 75; dx MDS 5/2010; Vidaza 6/2010; ARRY614 & Sapacitabine clinical trials at Emory, no results, stopped 12/2011. Had BMB at NIH on 6/5/12, blasts 10-15% so he's not eligible for trial there. :eek Promacta trial, Tampa, blasts 25-30% 8/17/12 AML, trying Dacogen now and praying.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2012, 01:00 AM

Kim,

I'm very sorry about your Dad's death. You will miss him terribly but I hope you will find comfort in many good memories.

Karen
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Thu Sep 13, 2012, 12:23 PM

Sorry to hear about your dad Kim.

Deb