Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 09:25 PM

Mark Yates

I am not sure how many of you know him but I am sad to say he passed away tonight. He fought a brave battle but sadly in the end the battle took his life. His site is www.caringbridge.org/visit/markjohnyates

Laura
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Laura,

Thank you for sharing this news with us. Mark joined Marrowforums in 2006, just shortly after the site was launched, and shared the details of his fight against aplastic anemia in this thread. He was also quick to support others dealing with the disease. If you know Mark's family, please tell them that all of us at Marrowforums send our sympathies on his passing.

Sincerely,
Ruth Cuadra
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 09:32 AM

I am so sadenned to learn this, Mark was such a positive and upbeat person. Even when he was in the height of his own health struggles, he made a point of signing the CB guestbooks of his fellow AA/bmt friends, offering support and encouragement. He was never afraid to share his personal struggles as he always hoped his experiences, good or bad, could help and guide others.

My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and two daughters as well as his extended family.

Nicole
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:41 AM

Mark

Hi Laura, I tried to read Mark's whole journal last night, Got too tired, Did his transplant fail or was it complications from the transplant? He seemed like such a neat person I am sorry that I didn't get to know him. i still haven't recovered from Rob. His sister sent me a picture of him in his boat on lake Tahoe, we had made plans to met him there with our boat. i know that death is not the end and that we all have our own destiny's it just makes me so sad. I guess I hate to see good people leave this world, we need them here!!!
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 12:32 PM

Vera,
I am not sure of the exact reasons for his death but I am assuming it is complications from his transplant. I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife at the NIH.
Laura
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 02:37 PM

Mark's journal

Vera, it would be impossible to read Mark's entire journal in a night! It's nearly three years worth of entries, some quite lengthy and detailed, and almost daily during the main part of the process. It's particularly hard when you know how it's going to end, his words take on a bittersweet resonance that was surely not intended at the time. Still, it's worth reading for two reasons: first, because everyone who takes the time to share their insights on this process with the rest of us helps us in our understanding of the road we may find ourselves walking down at some point, and second, because Mark is simply worth getting to know, and his passing doesn't change that.

Having followed his progress over the least several years, I can tell you that he had exhausted several other options (ATG, Campath, androgen therapy, nutritional changes, etc.) before coming to the reluctant conclusion that transplant was his only remaining hope. It was a very difficult decision for him to make, and he was not shy about sharing his innermost feelings with the rest of us on the Aplastic Central forum. He was fortunate to have a very good MUD available and was still just under the 40 yr. old marker, so he psyched himself up and went for it!

The actual transplant took place in June 2007, and despite a rollercoaster ride of complications, his life seemed to be returning to normal and he was lucky enough to be able to finally meet his donor, with whom he felt an almost fraternal bond. That was a joy to read about! Unfortunately he had a recurring problem with BOOP, a type of lung GVHD, which eventually forced him to rely on oxygen 24/7. In addition, he had already survived one battle with sepsis.

I'm not sure what brought on the second round of sepsis. He had been feeling "off" and his counts were down, but his doctor initially told him the tests were negative for sepsis or anything serious. That didn't last, however. He became not only septic but was also suffering from kidney failure, liver upset and C. difficile in his gut. Not a good combination, and low Hgb apparently wasn't helping his heart any either. Oddly enough, the lung issues that had been plaguing him seemed not to be part of the equation here.

Anyway, I'm not qualified to analyze any of this, I only bring it up because I think it's important to understand that even with a successful transplant it's possible to have severe complications more than 2 years later. Hopefully this will help people who are considering BMT to realize what a major, long-term process this is. Not to discourage anyone, but an informed decision is always the best one.

RIP Mark, we'll miss you!
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:44 PM

Wow ,thanks for writing all of that I will continue reading the journal.I didn't want to live with not knowing if I would wake up with leukemia one day at least I have a running chance now!! And when I had several hits of possibles I knew it was meant to be.
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09

Last edited by Vera W : Thu Jan 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 07:55 PM

Yes, it is very scary to know that you could have complications 2 years out from transplant. It is very sad to know of all Mark's struggles. But he remained so positive and upbeat through it all. He is at peace now.

Laura