Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Thu May 31, 2018, 06:46 AM

Did your blood group change post transplant?

Hi,
Just curious whether your blood group changed after transplant? I thought mine had initially changed, but I think it's different again! But all my other blood are fine.
Thanks.
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!
Old Thu May 31, 2018, 12:23 PM

Over a period of time your blood type will change to that of the donor if it is different from yours. If donor type is different you have to watch it because with certain types a donation of your original type can kill you.

Ray
Old Sat Jun 16, 2018, 07:37 PM

Yes it did. My husbands changed about two weeks after transplant.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2018, 04:16 PM

I never received any blood until after my actual transplant, and yes, my blood type changed. I rem. that I was given red cells twice that were my new blood type when I was in the hospital. No other blood b4 or after though. I just suffered through it and took iron tablets and folic acid. I had no idea that your donor could have a different blood type b4 my whole transplant experience. crazy stuff

Mario
Old Tue Jun 19, 2018, 04:47 PM

My husband’s did. I believe his hgb dipped down (it was kind of scary) when it was making the switch.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2018, 12:00 AM

Thanks for replys. So interesting. So my blood type is still my original! Chimarism is still 100%. Not sure why it hasn't changed. I have a heamatology appointment next week so will ask the professor.
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!
Old Tue Jun 26, 2018, 11:27 PM

Just for people that are looking at these posts..

I saw my heamatologist last week.. he is not sure why my blood group hasnt changed.. donor was A+ and I am currently O+. All other bloods are fine so I am a bit of a mystery. He said it is rare, but can happen.

Thanks for reading
Old Thu Jun 28, 2018, 03:21 PM

Still my old blod group

Hi Lisa, greetings from Finland. I made my SCT in January (had AML and probably MDS) and I still have my old bloodgroup. I also have O+ and the donor had B+. This is called ”major bloodgroup mismatch” and sometimes it takes several months to change. Sometimes a year, they told me. Something is anyway happening now because I do not need any bloodtransfusions any more. Doctors have told me this happens now and then when there is this major mismatch. At the beginning after SCT my marrow did not make ANY red cells, that was a bit scary. My other numbers are OK and I am OK, no GVHD.
Sorry my bad English. Hope you have a good summer!

Last edited by Sylvia2018 : Thu Jun 28, 2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2018, 11:10 PM

Hi sylvia,
Thanks for your reply! Wow that would have been scary not making any red blood cells initially! Good to hear everything is going well now. All the "late" change of blood types seem to have lower red blood cell counts before they change to the donors blood type... but I have had no issues with my red blood cells. Keep up the good work!
Lisa
Old Fri Jun 29, 2018, 07:48 AM

Thank you Lisa. OK, now I understand your situation. This all is so amazing that sometimes it looks like we do not get answers. But it is wonderful that you are fine anyway!
Old Fri Oct 26, 2018, 05:06 AM

Hi! Just for those interested... my blood group finally changed 2 1/2 years after my transplant. Not.sure why it took so long. I am currently well! So those worried their blood group hasnt changed, be patient
Old Fri Apr 19, 2019, 01:56 PM

Blood group change

I'm not a doctor, but think that the important factors are the blood group you start out with, how many red cells and platelets your bone marrow is producing prior to the SCT and how many blood and platelet transfusions you have just prior to the SCT.

I was AB+ prior to my SCT, a universal recipient, so I was receiving weekly transfusions of different blood and platelet types for about five months. As soon as my A+ donor was chosen, they put me on A+ transfusions exclusively, for the months leading up the transplant. My own bone marrow was producing virtually nothing prior to the SCT conditioning, due to two rounds of intensive chemo, so as soon as engraftment took place my blood group was confirmed as A+ almost immediately. The new stem cells didn't have any competition from the old stem cells and virtually all my blood cells were already A+ after all the transfusions.

I am no expert, but that is more or less what the doctors have told me. Hope it helps.
David, Age 60, diagnosed with MDS August 2018. Low Hb and platelets, weekly transfusions. No genetic mutations. Developed into AML with FLT3 mutation while waiting for a SCT. Allogenic SCT - MUD in Feb 2019. Relapsed June 2019. Azacitidine, Venetoclax and DLI.