Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 08:28 AM

Travel Tips?

Hi all!
Do any of you travel despite your treatments for blood disorders? I haven't but I am desperate for a vacation after the past 15 months of this roller coaster.

I live in NJ and am planning a road trip to Florida in my camper van with a friend. Although I'm battling MDS, and have just finished my 5th rd of Vidaza, I feel great currently and want to travel while I can. I am planning to use my brother's house in Jacksonville as my hub--he is close to the Mayo Clinic.
There, I can receive blood products if needed....This is what I have thought of so far--but I feel like I am leaving something out...
-I will get a Dr there to set up a file and have my Dr be in touch
-I will make sure they accept my insurance
-I will contact the infusion dept there and prearrange a visit
-I will stop by and get to know the place so I will be familiar with the protocol
-I will get my blood tested along the way at Labcorps, which is a nationwide lab.
-Meds, of course, will be filled and Rx's as needed

If any of you have any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 01:02 AM
Owner

cheri,

I think you could write the book on travel preparations for patients! Your planning is excellent and thorough. I bet you're going to have a great time. How long a trip do you have in mind?

Here are a few bits of advice that come to mind:

• Keep water or other drinks around so you don't get dehydrated when you are between stops.

• If you can, bring enough of your medicine so you don't have to fill any prescriptions while you are away. That could save you from some hassles. I know it probably depends on the luck of when you need to refill each prescription. If you'll need refills then rather than deal with another pharmacy you might arrange to have meds mailed to your brother's house and leave enough lead time for that. If any of your medications are out of renewals, arrange to get new or extended prescriptions from your doctor now so you'll be clear for any renewals needed. And bring your over-the-counter meds too so you won't have to worry about finding the same meds elsewhere.

• Be flexible and willing to take it easy if you find that you've overextended yourself. Some people run themselves ragged when they're on vacation because they want to be tourists who see and do everything. Be willing to take it easy. Slow down your schedule if you feel you're straining your stamina.

• Avoid getting sunburned.

Cancer Research UK (a charity group) has some sensible travel tips and precautions for patients.