Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 11:15 AM

BMT-update

Hi everyone I got this update from doc..can some one explain..this myelodyplastic /myeloproliferative disease has an aggressive apperance.with 4o% peripheral blasts, marked thromboytopenia, and very hypercellular marrow, with abnormal localization of immature precursors(ALIP). correlation with cytoenetic

Diagnosis...blood-anemia-neutrophilia and thrombocytopenia

5%metamyelocytes, 5%myelocytes and 4% blasts noted...
can anyone help me understand this a bit better...
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Hi, lost.

You've been getting lots of good information from people about how to understand more about MDS. But still this new information from your doctor is very technical.

You said both "40% peripheral blasts" and "4% blasts noted". I think the 40% was a typo because such a high blast count would be leukemia; 4% is more typical of MDS. Blasts are immature blood cells that can occur in the bone marrow and sometimes in the peripheral (circulating) blood. They indicate the presence of disease. The higher the percentage of blasts, the more advanced the disease.

"Marked thromboytopenia" means that your husband's platelet count is very low. You told us in this other thread that his count was 39, which is low but liveable as Lisa V. said.

"Abnormal localization of immature precursors" or ALIPs are clusters of baby red blood cells (immature precursors) that occur in the wrong part (abnormal locale) of the bone marrow. The presence of ALIPs is one of many factors that help doctors diagnose MDS and they are being studied to find out if they can be used to predict the progress of MDS.

"Metamyelocytes" and "myelocytes" are early forms of granulocytes, which are a type of white blood cell. I don't know what the particular percentages mean in this case.

How is your husband feeling? Have you been able to contact the Aplastic Anemia Foundation of Canada?

Regards,
Ruth
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 09:02 AM

ty.Ruth..

Thank,s so much for your explaination...Pierre is really short of breath...pain in his back and legs, he has some kind of ualcer in his troath..had a small feaver...but ok ...Yes I did call beth and she sent me the packet...that helps alot...The doc, say his count,s are stable and still waiting...Thats the hard part ..like we are waiting for him to get real sick befor they do something...he has a great spirit...god is good ..hope he hear,s my prayer,s ..sorry if my spelling is not good...we are french...thanks and I,ll let you no ..next appt. at the doc,s...god bless..