Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 10:39 PM

Free Flowing platelet transfusion?

Hi all
I went in for a platelet transfusion today, and people who were from out of town said that is better to let them gravity flow in, as opposed to the pump machine, as the machine destroyed some platelets. The nurse asked me if I wanted to try it and I said, "why not"? Doesn't take any longer.
Anyone ever heard of that dispensing method?

I will have a hard time judging this time, because the bag of platelets I got was huge, like double the normal amount...but I will continue and see if there seems to be a difference.

It always amazes me how the size of the bag, color and blood type varies with every platelet transfusion....
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 12:17 AM

Hi. The daycare I go to always run blood and platelets free flow except if they have a slow port like mine and need the machine to push them through but their preference is definitely for free flow.

Regards
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 05:13 AM

Platelets

Hi Cheri,
Like Chirley I have got platelet transfusions in the same way as blood transfusions. They flush the platelets (without a machine) because otherwise they will clot.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 10:31 AM

Hi Cheri,
My husband has had zillions of platelet transfusions and unlike his blood transfusions, alll of his platelets have been infused only by gravity. The blood has always been pushed by the machine. Don't really know why the difference but it seems to be the standard way it's done at his infusion center.
Best wishes,
Sally
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 01:11 PM

Pump Rate...

It depends on the Doc's orders. Pump rate is easy to adjust a lower rate for PRBC infusion over a longer timeframe to reduce the risk of dangerous/unwanted reaction.
Ric: Low-risk MDS (blasts <4%); 4 cycles Revlimid no positive response; PRBC transfusion dependent; so far, 392'units' over 8 3/4 years; BMB #4 (15/04/01) shows evolution to AML (blasts 20-30%) 47,XY,del(5) (q22q35),+21[24][cp24]/46,XY(1).